Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14, 2011, 09:45 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Urgent computer won't boot

Check my page for specs

I was at a LAN and my computer crashed and I can't get it to boot since. To be honest I was pretty drunk when it happened so I can't even remember what happened and I turned it off and didn't bother trying to fix (much). The power starts and all fans/LED's are functional but the boot screen doesn't show up... nothing does. I tried swapping video cards and still nothing. I think it might be the power supply cause I had to RMA it before. Also, it smells a little like burning plastic, but that might just be my imagination.

If you guys can help me out in anyway, I'm really desperate. I need my computer working and I am super busy. If you know good yet relatively inexpensive places to get it repaired so I don't gotta worry about it then that would be cool too.
Old November 14, 2011, 10:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

NCIX.com - Buy Corsair Professional HX650W 650W ATX 12V 52A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan - Corsair - CMPSU-650HX - in Canada

try this first 99 $
Old November 15, 2011, 07:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No special beverages spilled in your system did it?
Old November 15, 2011, 07:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Bad ram?
Old November 15, 2011, 08:13 AM
MVP

Well if the power starts up and the fans all run then I wouldn't first point at the PSU. Much more likely one of three things. CPU, board or RAM. First thing you should reset the CMOS to see if that will work. If there is a burning plastic smell I would suspect something blew on the motherboard. You might want to take it out of the case and look for any burnt areas, especially around the mofsets, which would show where the board failed. Barring that, rotate the RAM around the different slots one at a time to make sure they are not the cause, it would be unusual for both/all sticks to fail at the same time.

Hope that helps some.
Old November 15, 2011, 08:27 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Hook up a pc speaker, take out ram and reset bios (using clrtc jumper). If you get error beeps then most likely cpu/board are in decent shape.
Then Put one stick of ram in, in the closest slot to cpu and hopefully it posts.
If you dont get error beeps, then I would look closer at cpu/mobo/power supply
Old November 15, 2011, 09:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would try rotating your RAM. Always worked for me when I had the exact same symptoms on my last build. If that doesn't work, take out half your ram and try to boot. If it still doesn't, try the other half.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old November 15, 2011, 09:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ram sounds about right. Or a bad harddrive. You were downloading too much pron at the lan in your drunken stupor. :-P
Old November 15, 2011, 09:58 AM
Top Prospect

I wouldn't say hard drive, because the bios splash screen doesn't even come up.

Switch off psu, remove power cable to psu, remove bios battery. If not, switch around the ram.
Old November 17, 2011, 11:39 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Alright so I tried putting in only one ram stick at a time and it still wouldn't boot, I tried reseeding the cables and still it would not boot. Cleared CMOS (although only with the button) maybe i'll try taking out the battery later.

I think it might be the power supply because of what happened when I was swapping RAM. When I force shut off the computer (holding down the power button) it would turn off and then turn back on automatically. I later found out that even when I pressed the switch on the back of the PSU that should stop it from turning on again, it would still turn on again (only for a few seconds of course). Even when I unplugged the power cord immediately after turning off the computer, it would turn back on (for a few seconds). I'm pretty sure that ain't supposed to happen.