Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 11, 2011, 06:54 PM
Rookie

Default Dummy Needs Wireless Network Help...

Really stumped with this one fellas, hope someone can rescue me. I'm using Win 7 Ultimate, and cannot for the life of me connect to the internet with any stability or reliability. The wireless USB adapter is an EnGenius 11n, which I've previously used with no difficulty at a different address with this same PC, and nothing's changed with the PC's config. Don't think it's the network under this roof, as all my other devices connect properly (360, cel, HP DouchePad). Obviously something's working, because I'm able to access Canucks (duhh), and of all places, the Pirate Bay. But every other site I try won't come up; tried Firefox, Chrome, IE9. No idea what router my landlady is using upstairs, and I really want nothing to do with it, for fear of effing things up for her (she works from home).

Any ideas, anybody? Thanks, guys!

DS
Old November 11, 2011, 07:38 PM
Rookie

Sorry about that Mods, can you please move this to the Networking section? Thanks.

DS
Old November 11, 2011, 07:41 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Is this issue on-going or does it happen from time to time?
I have seen an issue where 3 or so sites can be accessed but that is it. First and foremost you want to run these commands on your pc:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig/renew
ipconfig/flushdns
That will fix many network related issue's.
If those don't seem to clear up the issues please post back here as we can dig further...Oh, also try a PC restart ;)
Clear cache, cookies, temp files, etc in you browser settings.

Edit: Also verify you are on the correct wireless network..While which network you are on shouldn't make a difference, it might clear networking issues up.
Old November 11, 2011, 07:58 PM
Rookie

I typed each of those commands into the 'run' box (pretty green with this stuff, as you can see), and Windows says it can't find them, but I doubt this is what you meant me to do. When I type ipconfig into run, I get a split-second flash of a command-line box, but that's it; can't access it.

- Just moved here the other day, so it's a brand-new problem under this roof. But the very same thing happened in the place I was previously staying for a few months; fixed it there by running an ethernet cable across the room (can't do that here). Perhaps worth mentioning, the ISP at both residences is Bell. Prior to these two places, this PC and the EnGenius adapter worked like a charm about 90 minutes west of your location with East link.

- Tried many PC re-starts. And I've uninstalled and re-installed the EnGenius software and driver.

Thanks for pitching in, Jonesy.

DS
Old November 11, 2011, 08:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Are you using your own router?
Old November 11, 2011, 08:07 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Simpson View Post
I typed each of those commands into the 'run' box (pretty green with this stuff, as you can see), and Windows says it can't find them, but I doubt this is what you meant me to do. When I type ipconfig into run, I get a split-second flash of a command-line box, but that's it; can't access it.

- Just moved here the other day, so it's a brand-new problem under this roof. But the very same thing happened in the place I was previously staying for a few months; fixed it there by running an ethernet cable across the room (can't do that here). Perhaps worth mentioning, the ISP at both residences is Bell. Prior to these two places, this PC and the EnGenius adapter worked like a charm about 90 minutes west of your location with East link.

- Tried many PC re-starts. And I've uninstalled and re-installed the EnGenius software and driver.

DS
You need to go to a command prompt... type cmd.exe in the run box, this will open a command prompt... Then enter the commands suggested above.
Old November 11, 2011, 08:07 PM
Rookie

Nope, the router belongs to the landlady two floors up. Don't know what router she's using, but my PC reports that's I'm connected (even though I can only pull up two sites), and that her network is wireless G.
Old November 11, 2011, 08:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Simpson View Post
I typed each of those commands into the 'run' box (pretty green with this stuff, as you can see), and Windows says it can't find them,
DS
I apologize, I hadn't fully explained the commands. I see now where you said in the first post you were green (Kokanee is flowing fast out of the fridge)

First off, in the run box type "cmd.exe" and hit enter
Once the command prompt opens (Black box that will have a flashing curser in it..which it say something along the lines of: C:\Users\DaveSimpson (or w/e your login name on pc is)
that is where you will type the ipconfig / commands I previously mentioned.
The fact that you recently changed ISP's leads me to believe your PC has not changed DNS servers, which could be causing this issue.
Old November 11, 2011, 08:40 PM
Rookie

This is really becoming annoying. I ran each of those commands, cleared the browser history and cookies, re-booted. Now I can't get anything (using my HP DouchePad right now), except the Pirate Bay with Firefox,and it isn't a cached page. Arrgghh...!!
Old November 11, 2011, 09:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well, there is 1 more thing I would try.
I understand the router belongs to your landlord, however the configs on a router typically auto save (home based routers anyways)
You can try logging into 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1 into the router you are connected to and see if you can software re-boot it. You may have to alter (alter back to orig settings before next step) an port forward, or any major setting, where the router will say it requires a restart. If you click "restart" it will do a software based restart of it, which may clear up issues.
In many cases like this the solution is pull the power cable to the router, then pull power cable / battery (if there is cable for phones) from the modem...wait 5mins for cap's to drain and plug in + put battery in modem...once it recieves its connection (can tell by the lights on it) plug in router...have PC off or do a cmd.exe -> ipconfig/release -> ipconfig/renew
without being able to access the router and modem the above steps aren't possible. You can always ask the Landlord to do it / let you do it. Beyond those steps I really can't help you too much. With you being able to hit Pirate bay, and you could hit HWC I would say it isn't a driver issue with the network card.