Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 11, 2011, 09:06 AM
Rookie

Default .exe files do not work

Hello guys, me again... seems like im on this site alot :/

So i have a new problem. This time its software based though, you read the title, that is my problem. None of the .exe files work, except Google Chrome, no games work, no programs, no nothing. Cant even shut down the computer without holding the power button off.

So ive scanned the computer, i scanned with Malwarebytes, found nothing, scanned with AVG in C:Drivers and in C:Windows because thats my suspicion where they might be, it found nothing and im doing a whole computer scan right now and waiting for results.

I downloaded a .exe fix thingy which didnt work, and not working i mean it didnt start and a error message came up. I also tried with Symantec's SirCam removal thingy, it freezes on some random point every time, so i dunno what the problem might be.

The problem accured on Monday-Tuesday i think, whats also worth mentioning is that i switched from Avast to Panda Cloud on the Saturday before Monday. and Today i got AVG 2012 free edition and Malwarebytes trial on the premium edition thingy.

Have no clue of that the problem might be, so i hope you have one. Cheers.
Old November 11, 2011, 09:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds like the simplest solution would be to re-install Windows...

It's likely a bunch of DLL's or something have got corrupted. You could try running "sfc /scannow" and see if that fixes anything, but I doubt it.

Also if you have system restore enabled, perhaps try going back a few days when it was working?
Old November 11, 2011, 09:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Last time I saw that it was a worm virus. Only fix is a format.

May I suggest Microsoft Security Essentials (free and works) and Malwarebytes as your protection. You would need to run windows in safe mode to attempt any fix but at this point you're wasting time well spent re-installing.

good luck!
Old November 11, 2011, 10:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

Download and run this:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_exe_fix.zip
Old November 11, 2011, 12:15 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Dosent work. when i click the file it says: "Adding information can unintentionally change or delete values and cause components to stop working correctly. If you do not trust the source of this information in C:\Users\Dmitri\AppData\Local\Temp\RarSD165.464\xp _exe_fix.reg, do not add it to the registry.

Are you sure you want to continue?"

And when i press yes, it says, cannot i,port C:\Users\Dmitri\AppData\Local\Temp\RarsID65.464\xp _exe_fix.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes.

Im gonna try running it in Safe Mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
Last time I saw that it was a worm virus. Only fix is a format.

May I suggest Microsoft Security Essentials (free and works) and Malwarebytes as your protection. You would need to run windows in safe mode to attempt any fix but at this point you're wasting time well spent re-installing.

good luck!
I just downloaded AVG 9.5 2012 free edition and scanned the whole computer, it found 2 "Trojan droppers" or something in a file i downloaded a week before this issue was actual. and i also scanned the whole computer with Malwarebyte and it didnt find shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Sounds like the simplest solution would be to re-install Windows...

It's likely a bunch of DLL's or something have got corrupted. You could try running "sfc /scannow" and see if that fixes anything, but I doubt it.

Also if you have system restore enabled, perhaps try going back a few days when it was working?
I really do not want to do that, since i have no external hard drive and i have downloaded really big files which i do not want to spend time on again :(
Old November 11, 2011, 12:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

running rkill will USUALLY stop a virus (just stop it, not remove it) to allow you to run applications..

Bleeping Computer Downloads: RKill

Worked for me plenty of times, so you can run scanners and removers, etc.
Old November 11, 2011, 02:09 PM
Rookie

So i dont know, im starting to think that its not a virus, every program that is binded to start on startup does start, but in my case, i just want to play MW3, so i try to start up steam, if i check in Processes in Task Manager there is a "Steam32.exe" process that is going on, and it takes up about 13 000 kb of memory, but no window will show up.

If i try to run a game, example, Crysis. A black window will come up and nothing more. I have no idea whatsoever what the problem might be and im starting to fear that a reinstallation of Windows 7 and removing everything thats on the comp might be the only fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
running rkill will USUALLY stop a virus (just stop it, not remove it) to allow you to run applications..

Bleeping Computer Downloads: RKill

Worked for me plenty of times, so you can run scanners and removers, etc.
It just turned off Google Chrome and nothing else :/
Old November 11, 2011, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I remember this happeneing to be a few years back go to start/run and type in event, click on Event Viewer. and see what it says inside there, I think that it is an reg thing
Old November 11, 2011, 03:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

Personally I think a reformat is a waste.

I would do this and in this particular order:
Boot into safe mode with networking
1) Get and run Combofix -> ComboFix Download
(I find combofix gets more problems than any spyware program if you've become infected)

2) After combofix has run get SuperAntiSpyware and choose "Critical Point Scan" and "Enable Rescue Scan"

Doing those two alone I can removes a crap load of stuff that has been injected. I only trust Microsoft Security Essentials for a AV so install that too.
Old November 11, 2011, 03:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Personally I think a reformat is a waste.

I would do this and in this particular order:
Boot into safe mode with networking
1) Get and run Combofix -> ComboFix Download
(I find combofix gets more problems than any spyware program if you've become infected)

2) After combofix has run get SuperAntiSpyware and choose "Critical Point Scan" and "Enable Rescue Scan"

Doing those two alone I can removes a crap load of stuff that has been injected. I only trust Microsoft Security Essentials for a AV so install that too.
this was going to be my next suggestion just wanted to see what the event was. Also you should make sure when using Antiway stuff that you don't get False positives

Last edited by Shadowmeph; November 11, 2011 at 03:22 PM.