Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 12, 2011, 09:12 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Personally I think a reformat is a waste.

I would do this and in this particular order:
Boot into safe mode with networking
1) Get and run Combofix -> ComboFix Download
(I find combofix gets more problems than any spyware program if you've become infected)

2) After combofix has run get SuperAntiSpyware and choose "Critical Point Scan" and "Enable Rescue Scan"

Doing those two alone I can removes a crap load of stuff that has been injected. I only trust Microsoft Security Essentials for a AV so install that too.
I did all that, SUPERAnti Spyware scanner didnt find anything, and i'd like to note that i did reformat the harddrives and reinstalled Windows 7, but the problem still persists. Are there perhaps missing registry lines?

Id also like to note that Shockwave Flash dosent work, youtube always crashes, AND that the computer dosent shut down when im pressing the button, i need to hold down the power button, or else, just nothing happends.
Old November 12, 2011, 09:55 AM
Rookie

I would also like to note that starting up Steam works like a charm in Safe mode, and so does shutting the computer off.
Old November 12, 2011, 11:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

SO ou totally formated your drive then did a fresh install of Windows and it is still doing this? if so do you run programs off of a separate drive?
Old November 12, 2011, 11:28 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
SO ou totally formated your drive then did a fresh install of Windows and it is still doing this? if so do you run programs off of a separate drive?
i dont know if i totally formated the drive. what i did was, last night i just popped in the ol' windows 7 disc on startup so it boots from there, then i chose to install windows 7 and so on, when i came to the location i wanted it to be installed, i pressed "format" on both my drives, i have a 1 terrabyte one and one 250 gb one. and just installed it to the same location that i had before the format, on the 250 gb one. but its still doing this, yes.
Old November 12, 2011, 12:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok I find this very very strange. Do me a fav and open up reg edit and got to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command doulbe click on the Default and post back what it reads
Old November 12, 2011, 12:09 PM
Rookie

Quote:
ok I find this very very strange. Do me a fav and open up reg edit and got to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command doulbe click on the Default and post back what it reads
Value name: (Default)

Value Data: "%1" %*
Old November 12, 2011, 12:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

for all the time you've wasted so far you could have just re-installed. Save your steam folder somewhere else... nuke and pave. If you're reading this you've wasted even more of your valuable time
Nuke
Pave
Enjoy.
Old November 12, 2011, 12:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
for all the time you've wasted so far you could have just re-installed. Save your steam folder somewhere else... nuke and pave. If you're reading this you've wasted even more of your valuable time
Nuke
Pave
Enjoy.
Umm he did reinstall this is why I see this as very strange.
shut down your PC and disconnect any hard drives that windows isn't installed on and the restart, you could have a virus installed on your other drive and when you start your pc it is reactivating.
Also what changes did you do to your OS before this all started.

What is posted here
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
should have fixed your .exe problems

Maybe also have a read here
How To Remove / Uninstall Privacy Protection Virus ( Malware Removal Guide )

Last edited by Shadowmeph; November 12, 2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old November 12, 2011, 01:21 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Umm he did reinstall this is why I see this as very strange.
shut down your PC and disconnect any hard drives that windows isn't installed on and the restart, you could have a virus installed on your other drive and when you start your pc it is reactivating.
Also what changes did you do to your OS before this all started.

What is posted here
should have fixed your .exe problems

Maybe also have a read here
How To Remove / Uninstall Privacy Protection Virus ( Malware Removal Guide )
Ok, i think i have fixed the problem. What i did was that i restored it to the minute after the reinstallation, i have downloaded Steam, the Important updates, AVG and Google Chrome, and so far everything works. i think its with some software i installed that this happened.

And to answer your question, what i did before this accured was that i had a ****** up connection, so i was trying to fix it and i turned off the firewall and uninstalled Avast and went browsing, and downloaded Panda Cloud, so somewhere on that way i picked up some shit. i dunnno, the problem might still be here, i will tell you soon.