Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 10, 2011, 08:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Question Slow ssd

This is my 1st ssd Corsair Force 3 and I believe I might be having problems with it. When I originally tested the drive after a fresh install I was getting around 400-500 read/write. Now I'm getting 200 read 100 write.

My mobo is the Crosshair V Formula and all the drivers are updated and I am not using the Asmedia sata port. The drive is about half full.

Trim is enabled
Old December 13, 2011, 04:16 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Did you activate AHCI in the bios setting and check if Trim was on in CMD?
Old December 13, 2011, 12:07 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

In case you don't know how to do that, run cmd as administrator, and type in "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify" if the result is "0", then TRIM is enabled
Old December 13, 2011, 04:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Run CCleaner and "erase free space" with a double pass or higher. I found that sped up my SSD when I had issues... Also, try to keep the capacity below 80% full. (and do the above)

Firmware upgrade < -- performance increases (usually)
Old December 13, 2011, 04:37 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigFOIG View Post
In case you don't know how to do that, run cmd as administrator, and type in "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify" if the result is "0", then TRIM is enabled
Ummm....not really. All that means is the OS will issue the command. It does NOT mean that the command will be recieved by the SSD. You could be in IDE mode on a 3rd party controller and still the OS will tell you its A-OK.

Four links in a TRIM chain
OS, Drivers, Controller, SSD.

OS has to send the command (ie be windows 7 or nix comparable)

Drivers have to be able to send it on. This means AHCI drivers from either AMD (though not always as their drivers...are very less than optimal), or Intel OR the std MS AHCI drivers

Controller. The controller itself has to be able to pass it on. This means it has to be either 8 series or later from AMD or Intel since ICH9R. It can NOT be on a marvel, asmedia, or any of the other controllers mobo makers put on there to add extra ports.

SSD...all ssds are TRIM aware so this one is a default yes now.

IF any part of this chain is broken...you wont get TRIM...yet the OS will still happily send on the commands.

To the OP. It doesnt really sound like a typical degraded state. In a degraded state the write speed does indeed TANK but the READ speed only dips a minor amount...unless the drive is REALLY, REALLY messed up and super super degraded....and even then those numbers are LOW. Three possibilities. 1 - its really in bad shape nand wise 2- the sata port or cable is wonky 3- its in the process of dieing on you.

What I would do is A) make sure you are indeed in TRIM capable setup. 2) backup ALL your data -and then stick in a dif rig as a "D" drive that is also TRIM capable 3) do a sanitary erase (OCZ toolbox will work fine on your drive...yours is the same as the agility 3 just with a dif sticker on the outside) 4) format it 5) run freespace cleaner w/ FF option enabled THREE times. This means letting it go until the green bar STOPS going up and down (the bar does not mean how much progress it is at...just that it is working). 5) run a sani erase AGAIN 6) format it 7) change your sata cable and sata port 8) restore from backup and test...IF after all that its still showing bad...RMA it has its dieing. Actually wouldnt surprise me if doing all that pushes it over the edge and kills it DEAD...IF its dieing and not just really messed up. 9) STOP RUNNING synth benchmarks on it. It the equivalent of repeatedly punching your SF2281 drive in the....nu.....umm...stomach...repeatedly with a baseball bat.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 14, 2011, 12:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ok thanks AKG I will investigate this further. I was planning on a format soon anyway so maybe now I can at least save some time following your recommendations. What do you suggest for benchmarking an SSD? Stopwatch and large files? (i'm not being sarcastic)

Installed a ram drive to play around with today... wee bit faster than an ssd.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old December 14, 2011, 02:49 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
Ok thanks AKG I will investigate this further. I was planning on a format soon anyway so maybe now I can at least save some time following your recommendations. What do you suggest for benchmarking an SSD? Stopwatch and large files? (i'm not being sarcastic)

Installed a ram drive to play around with today... wee bit faster than an ssd.

SSDs huh...how quaint!
Fold for team #54196
Old December 14, 2011, 05:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I noticed he's also on an AMD system, don't a lot of their chipsets not support/natively have TRIM as well?
Old December 14, 2011, 02:04 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

To the OP, run CDM like ONCE. There is zero need to continue to rerun the test UNLESS you have an issue like you do now. CDM, AS-SSD and the others use UNcompressible data which really really is hard on the SF2281 drives.

To Arinoth, yeah I do have a sneaking suspecion that it could be AMD's "implementation" of Trim that is biting him in the ass....but it most likly is just a bad drive as those read numbers are awfully damn low even for a degraded state. If cleaning and cleaning and cleaning with a side order of double nuking does in fact clear it all up AND his "trim chain" is intact and SHOULD be running right...all I can say is...congratulations you have joined the legion of consumers who have been screwed over my AMD and their driver "team". AMD has a loooong tradition of doing it so its nothing personal. HOPEFULLY that is the case as sometimes a re-installation of the OS can solve it...which beats RMA'ing a drive any day!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 16, 2011, 09:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I just finished setting up my file server again. It was down for... well... ever. Just need a place to back stuff up before I nuke and pave.

I have a full windows image of the orginal install I did on this board but I'm a little concerned about this AMD problem you speak of. I would have to assume the trim chain is broken some how and so fixing it is imposible? unless I purchase an adapter card that DOES support it? Or I can make this work with my chipset? Sorry still a little pissed about that info heh. Not that I don't wanna know!! So it makes me wonder if after all the cleaning and nuking if it's just gonna go back to it's current state. I know there is an update for this drive but I've never been able to get it to install.

Thanks for taking the time to post this info AKG it's really a matrix of bad forum posts, horrible information, and hair pulling trying to figure it out. I'd pretty much given up on it until now. Going off the basic requests like some of the posts here (which aren't bad really you see the same thing everywhere) I thought TRIM was working so that was that. I'm a pro with google so I'm a little surprised it took this long to get a good informed answer.

Obviously I was a little disapointed when my drive was 50 percent slower on the read and 75 percent slower on the write and it's barely 3 months old.

I'll probably get Braineater to help me with this as he is up and running. Would a windows xp media center box be sufficient to clean the hdd or does it have to be a win7 box?
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.