Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 17, 2011, 02:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Welp... I got as far as putting the drive in Braineaters laptop. Took an hour to get it to show up in windows even though the bios showed it fine. (seen that before) Took 5 minutes to format as the drive wasn't even listed in My Computer but did show up in disk Management. It wouldnt create a volume so I couldnt access it with any tools of any kind.

IPR time at memx. Hopefully it fails for them too.

I'll let ya know how it goes... sure like to change over to an M4 if possible

Well that was quick. GG memory express insta give me new drive plan.

AKG i'd sure like to know what you think here. Should I install win7 but not the sata drivers for the mobo? IE chipset drivers. This isn't normally a good way to run a computer but I would like to know what your idea is.

Thanks.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Last edited by clshades; December 17, 2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old December 17, 2011, 04:26 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Your best bet is the AMD drivers. There is some controversy over IF the MS AHCI driver (ie std MS drivers)does pass on TRIM on AMD rigs....but AMD only "guarantees" TRIM if you use their drivers. You know my opinion on AMD's driver team....but its still your best bet. Now by the same token, as I said AMD usually does pass on TRIM. Its only the occasional wonky setup where it doesnt work properly. So in all likelihood your SF2281 replacement will be happy as a clam. You just got a bad drive. Can happen to any drive by any mfg'er on any rig.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 18, 2011, 10:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ok cool I'll just install like I normally do then. Braineater was nice enough to lend me his asus laptop and I did notice that this drive has the current firmware already. The last one had 1.2 with known bugs IE: BSOD when going into hibernation. Something I don't use for desktops so for me it was a non issue.

Thanks again for all your help! I highly doubt I woulda killed it or discovered the problem as soon without your valuable input. In the end all any of us really want out of our expensive components is for them to WORK! ;-)

Cheers
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.