Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 1, 2011, 04:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Laptop Issues

Hey guys my girlfriend has a Gateway NV59 and it is having problems keeping a constant connection with wireless networks. Plugged in directly to the router it is fine but whenever it connects wirelessly to a router it, refuses to work about 80% of the time (all routers tried different brands even). I updated the drivers and it works but it is painfully slow.

I did not do a fresh install of the drivers though, I merely updated, the next thing I was going to try was uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling then running ccleaner and reinstalling.

If this fails the next thing I was going to do was re-format the drive and start over, which I really don't want to do because it is rather time consuming.

Anyways I am taking a break from troubleshooting for tonight so please let me know what you think.
Old November 1, 2011, 08:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

first find out what wifi brand got ? Broadcom,Atheros,Intel

check the FCC sticker on bottom or check under bottom covers while in there check antenna wire

current SYS bios is 1.20
Old November 2, 2011, 11:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It's an Atheros card I will open her up and check the antenna tonight. Any other possible solutions?
Old November 2, 2011, 11:05 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I don't see formatting doing anything. Need some details though.
-It refused to CONNECT or just wouldn't transfer?
-Is this a new issue or always was?
-Did you change any settings on the router or just switched routers?

Drivers would be my first suspicion if this problem isn't new.
Old November 2, 2011, 01:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clone63 View Post
I don't see formatting doing anything. Need some details though.
-It refused to CONNECT or just wouldn't transfer?
-Is this a new issue or always was?
-Did you change any settings on the router or just switched routers?

Drivers would be my first suspicion if this problem isn't new.
It is a new problem, it connects but the transfer speed is super low, no settings have been changed and the router has not been changed however I have tried connecting to other routers and gotten the same problems.
Old November 2, 2011, 02:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Anything hogging all the bandwidth? Quick Malware scan perhaps, if its a heavily used laptop. Especially if your gf likes to read forwards and such.
Unless every other wireless device is working fine, maybe change the Range on the router to something completely different from what it is in case it is interference. Sometimes (but rarely!), settings like "Super-g" mode on routers can cause problems, but since you tried a few, I'd doubt that.
A simple quick try is drivers, of course.

Sounds odd, but in all browsers too?
Old November 2, 2011, 04:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clone63 View Post
Anything hogging all the bandwidth? Quick Malware scan perhaps, if its a heavily used laptop. Especially if your gf likes to read forwards and such.
Unless every other wireless device is working fine, maybe change the Range on the router to something completely different from what it is in case it is interference. Sometimes (but rarely!), settings like "Super-g" mode on routers can cause problems, but since you tried a few, I'd doubt that.
A simple quick try is drivers, of course.

Sounds odd, but in all browsers too?
Well there wasn't anything hogging bandwidth so maybe it is interference because right now it is working fine.
Old November 2, 2011, 08:32 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Could well be. Are you in an apartment complex, within 10' of any appliances? I've seen dryers kill signals. Anything that deals with a lot of voltage CAN but shouldn't