Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 1, 2011, 02:10 PM
Rookie

Default Hard drive not showing up when booting from SSD

Hi guys/girls. I'm new at this and dont get much so sorry if im wasting ur time. So i'm having some problems with my hardrive not showing up after i completed my new build. It's a completely new HDD and im trying use it as a storage while my windows and boot stuff is on the ssd. But for some reason when i go to my device manager my hardrive shows up but it doesnt let me browse it and it doesnt show when i go to the computer. Its up to date with the latest driver and everything i ran out of ideas so help me please haha thank you.
Old November 1, 2011, 02:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

you probably need to make a partition and assign a drive letter. You do this from the drive management console:

1. Click on Start
2. Enter diskmgmt.msc into the search field

You should see the drive and be able to make your necessary changes from there.
Old November 1, 2011, 02:27 PM
Rookie

Oh thank you i did and its not on there. Is that a big problem?
Old November 1, 2011, 02:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Try deleting the driver from your device manager, and reboot your system. If Windows Drive Manager still can't see the drive after reinstalling the driver, you may have a faulty HDD.
Old November 1, 2011, 02:39 PM
Rookie

oh damn alright I will try that thanks
Old November 1, 2011, 02:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I had the same thing happen to me and when I went into diskmgmt.msc I didn't see the drive up top but when I scolled on the bottom part the drive was there but it just didn't have a Letter . after I right clicked and gave it one of the Available letters it showed up.
Old November 1, 2011, 02:51 PM
Rookie

Oh i didnt check the bottom ima do that now
Old November 1, 2011, 03:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

seems to me the HDD is unformatted or bad data cable

as SJ said while in diskmanagement look for HDD not letter as for its unformatted and un assigned, it shows brand model
Attached Images

Old November 1, 2011, 03:58 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I had the same thing happen to me and when I went into diskmgmt.msc I didn't see the drive up top but when I scolled on the bottom part the drive was there but it just didn't have a Letter . after I right clicked and gave it one of the Available letters it showed up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
seems to me the HDD is unformatted or bad data cable

as SJ said while in diskmanagement look for HDD not letter as for its unformatted and un assigned, it shows brand model
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
you probably need to make a partition and assign a drive letter. You do this from the drive management console:

1. Click on Start
2. Enter diskmgmt.msc into the search field

You should see the drive and be able to make your necessary changes from there.
Thank you so much guys i finally got it. So now i can just transfer all my old files from my old Hardrives into this new one and from now on just install software and games into this new HDD and not the SSD right?