Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 1, 2011, 12:06 PM
Rookie

Default MSI N560gtx ti TwinFrzr O/C - Hot & LOUD

Greetings.

I've seen a report that this card has changed since release and MSI have not changed the branding to reflect this.
http://www.yousendit.com/download/T2...Z2plM1JwdmNUQw

In short cards are running hotter and louder.

I think i got one of this new batch of hot and loud cards.

Case airflow was good, I tried reapplying TIM(2 degrees cooler), cleansweeping the drivers under safe mode etc. It definitely is that the card is different in some way.

I don't know how to prove this. I'e written off to loads of review sites and magazines to see i they can track this down.

I've RMA'd my card but I'm dreading getting a new card back and it being the same :_(

I'm spreading this far and wide to hopefully be proved wrong as I want a good card!
Anyone else get a hot and loud version of this card?

THe most annoying thing is that I can't play battlefield until my card comes back.

Goodbye and thank for reading.
Old November 1, 2011, 12:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you search the forums here, there have recently been a few similar issues regarding 560Ti's using the TFII cooler. (Hawk, Talon, OC editions) I haven't heard about a silent revision by MSI though, although it's not uncommon for some manufacturers to do this.
Old November 1, 2011, 03:31 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
If you search the forums here, there have recently been a few similar issues regarding 560Ti's using the TFII cooler. (Hawk, Talon, OC editions) I haven't heard about a silent revision by MSI though, although it's not uncommon for some manufacturers to do this.
I've had a sniff around on this forum, couldn't find much damming evidence...

"Silent Revision" is that the term is it? I'l remember that as it sound a lot better than "Conspiracy"

One magazine albeit a well known one and a few users on the msi forums is all I've been able to find. What can be done to a card to make it perform the same bust just be hotter (and therefore noisier as the fan struggles to keep up)????

I struggled with it for a few weeks, under clocking, undervolting but when I ran furmark and was watching it hit 100 degrees in about 15 seconds. That is wrong.
BF3 was getting to 95. (idled at 31 with case temp of 26)

Heaven knows what those temps would have been like if I hadn't replaced the gallon of snot they used at TIM

I wanna play BF3!!!

If I find anything else I'll pop back.

(oh and hello Canada from the UK)
Old November 1, 2011, 11:28 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I seem to recall reading a thread on this, where a user found MSi customer service contact information via Newegg reviews (where a manufacturer responds when a customer has a problem) and was told that such temperatures were worth of an RMA.
Old November 2, 2011, 01:30 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
I seem to recall reading a thread on this, where a user found MSi customer service contact information via Newegg reviews (where a manufacturer responds when a customer has a problem) and was told that such temperatures were worth of an RMA.
some say duff card, some say duff batch.

MSI support said send back to retailer - which Im doing.
I guess when I say RMA i mean dabs.com are picking it up and replacing it for free.

I wanted to get some assurance that I wasn't going to end up wasting time sending cards to and fro in the post (mail) and miss BF3 release.... well that didn't work.

MSI did not respond when asked directly about Silent revision.
Old November 13, 2011, 06:38 AM
Rookie

Turns out a duff card.
Got the replacement through and it performing to specification.

Only visible difference is the Japanese (maybe Taiwanese) sticker offering a three year guarentee and more noticeably the mini HDMI adapter.
The one that came with the duff card was a grey boxey looking thing that was about 3 inches long. The one that came with the replacement is a nice compact curvey little black number about an inch long.

Should have photographed the PCB when I was replacing the TIM.

no proof either way. Sporadic manufacturing glitch or bad batch?

Thanks for listening.

Out.