Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 31, 2011, 06:57 PM
Rookie

Default Graphics card fans running at 100%

The card in question is a Gigabyte 5830 1GB with inclined fans. I came home last night, from not using it, to a set of very loud fans in my case. I narrowed it down to the card fans running at 100%. I run MSI afterburner for temp readings and everything was normal except that it cannot read the fan speed as a percentage. It reads the RPM correctly and I am unable to adjust the fan speed through MSI.

The fans spin up to 100% immediately after hitting the power button from full shutdown. The power supply tests as all voltages reading correctly though the tester I have states a higher than expected voltage from my 650W Corsair.

I reset the BIOS and checked to see if there was some kind of fan control there but there isn't. I am stumped at this point.

List of hardware:
Asus M4AGTD-Pro MOtherboard
Gigabyte 5830 1GB
Corsair TX650

Are there any other steps I can take to trouble shoot this?
Old October 31, 2011, 07:20 PM
Allstar
F@H

Try uninstalling MSI afterburner and see if your fan speed drops. Might just be a software issue... You could also try installing a different app like EVGA precision and see if you can regulate the speed with it...

Edit: not sure if EVGA precision works on ATI cards or not...

Last edited by boggtrotter59; October 31, 2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old November 1, 2011, 07:46 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I would say it's nothing to do with the O/S, because the fans should spin up to 100% after powering up from a cold boot, then within 2 seconds spin down to near quiet. This is well before the OS comes into play. I wonder what makes them spin down, guessing here, but I would say it by default goes to 100% as a failsafe, until the card initializes and starts reading the data from the temp sensors, then sees that it's safe to lower rpms. I would try a few things:
Check to see if there is a vbios update for the graphics card
Check for a motherboard bios update.
Check the graphics card's fan connector to the pcb, reseat it
Failing that, try the card in a differant computer to see if it exhibits the same behavior.
Good luck
Old November 1, 2011, 07:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Maybe try uninstalling & reinstalling......?
Old November 1, 2011, 10:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As above posters have suggested. Just uninstall afterburner, uninstall video card drivers. Then restart and reinstall video card/drivers.
Old November 1, 2011, 04:46 PM
Rookie

Moving it to another machine is a good idea. I will try flashing the BIOS(Card and Motherboard) as well.

Thanks for the ideas, I will get back to you all when I have tried your suggestions.

Tags
corsair , fans , gigabyte , video card