Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 27, 2011, 08:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default pc shutting down

havin a issue and I can't figure it out.my pc will not stay on...it was workin today until I put a new fan in then a few mins later it just shut down..so I turned it back on and within a min of bootingup it shutdown again...so I took the new fan out and it booted up again but in a few hrs it just shutdown again.I was due for a reformat and I also had a new hdd layin around so I popped that in formatted and everything seemed fine till few hrs later it shutdown again.So I figured it was my psu.I have a second pc so I put my hdd and vid card in that one to do me till I get a new psu.This pc was workin fine before this,i also put my new fan in it.Fired it up and before it fully booted this one to shutdown.So I swaped out the vid card cause that was the only thing to come out of the other pc,but it still did it.Is it possible the new fan shorted out 2 diff power suplies
Old October 27, 2011, 09:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i don't know if a fan could short out the psu when u plugged it in. Are you getting any blue screens? Or is the system just shutting down instantly? If you have a multimeter you could backprobe the connectors on your psu to see if the voltage's are good or check in your bios. Also check for any loose connectors.

Other possibilities: CPU overheating? That would cause a shutdown, bad ram stick, dying motherboard, bad hard drive. What you might try is to rip the system apart and just have the board, cpu, vid card, ram, psu and run memtest for a while to see if the system shuts down. If not then add a hard drive, run some prime95, check temps.
Old October 28, 2011, 02:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I did all that I tried 2 complete diff pc,s and the only thing they had in common was I used the same vid card and same fan..i just find it funny that the exsact same thing happened to 2 diff pc,s in one day
Old October 31, 2011, 08:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I am at a complete loss as to what's happening to my pc.Now before ppl start telling me to check my connections and cpu ram etc. That's all been done.Whats got me so baffled is its happening to two completly diff system.the only thing they had in common was I used the same hdd. So I figuredmy hdd must be causin it so I tried another then another.i tried 5 diff hdd getting the same shutdown result on both pc's.same with a new psu the pc shuts down..the other pc has a brand new mobo cpu and ram it so I doubt that's the prob. Like I said I'm getttin the same results on 2 completly diff setups...and for the short time they do stay on if I try a game,no matter what settings its the laggest lag can be.in bf3 it tokk about 3 mins for my gun to even show....im lost ilve checked everything and swapped everything and bought new parts only to get same results...i even changed the powerbar it was all plugged into and even moved it to a diff location of the house to try diff outletts with the same results
Old October 31, 2011, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Check motherboard for blown capacitors. I bet that's what it is
Old October 31, 2011, 09:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

but its happening on 2 diff boards one of brand spankin new
Old October 31, 2011, 09:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You might have to break your machne down to the bare essentials, reset cmos, and test it in the most basic configuration.
Old October 31, 2011, 04:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

well i have tried everything i could think of and that was suggested to me with no luck..so i guess its time to start replacing things one at a time to check lol...mobo is only new and seeing its only gonna cost me 12 bux i'll change that first lol and see what happens its the last thing i can think of grrrrrr what a time to go down just 2 after bf3 im goin crazy lol
Old October 31, 2011, 08:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac79 View Post
I did all that I tried 2 complete diff pc,s and the only thing they had in common was I used the same vid card and same fan..i just find it funny that the exsact same thing happened to 2 diff pc,s in one day
posiable that wall outlet is the issue due to not enough current in circut

with multimeter check wall outlet
Old November 1, 2011, 04:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
posiable that wall outlet is the issue due to not enough current in circut

with multimeter check wall outlet
thought of that to so i tried diff rooms and even brought it to my parents house to try same result