Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 25, 2011, 12:59 PM
Top Prospect

Default No Post Problem on P5Q-LE

This computer was running ok last week. Turned it on yesterday and no post. The motherboard light was on, no video. On power up it runs for about 5 seconds and then stops for another couple of seconds and the then starts up again, but no post. I've taken out the memory modules and install one at a time. I've tried to reset the cmos and have swapped the video card. I am at a loss on what to do next. Please help, thanks. This unit is for my kids.
Old October 25, 2011, 03:12 PM
Allstar
F@H

Probably a dead mobo... Is it a Gigabyte board? I've recently had to RMA a couple Giga boards with the exact same symptoms... You could also try swapping out the psu if you have a spare one...
Old October 25, 2011, 03:30 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtrotter59 View Post
Probably a dead mobo... Is it a Gigabyte board? I've recently had to RMA a couple Giga boards with the exact same symptoms... You could also try swapping out the psu if you have a spare one...
Its an ASUS P5Q-LE board. I've just switched the psu and its still no post. However, I put back all the memory modules in the four channels and even though there was no post, the system did not stop and start as before, it stayed on. I am going to take out the memory one by one and see.
Old October 25, 2011, 03:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

Are there any beeps?

guess I should have read the title

Last edited by boggtrotter59; October 25, 2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old October 25, 2011, 04:19 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Are there any beeps?

guess I should have read the title
I don't have a speaker in the system. I've tried to switch the modules around, install only one. All the fans are running, I can even hear the hard drive reading sound, but still nothing on the monitor !
Old October 25, 2011, 04:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

I'd make sure the monitor is good then try stripping the board to just the bare necessities, cpu/cooler one stick of ram and videocard... Disconnect EVERYTHING else and see if you get anything on the screen.

Here's a handy troubleshooting guide:

10 Step "No Post" BIOS Recovery Guide
Old October 25, 2011, 05:42 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
I'd make sure the monitor is good then try stripping the board to just the bare necessities, cpu/cooler one stick of ram and videocard... Disconnect EVERYTHING else and see if you get anything on the screen.

Here's a handy troubleshooting guide:

10 Step "No Post" BIOS Recovery Guide
This is a basic system with only the video card, one cdrom and a harddrive in it. I borrowed the speaker from another system, still no post or beeps. I removed the cpu and reinstalled it - nada. Looks like I'm down to the motherboard.
Old October 25, 2011, 05:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

Ya... no beeps whatsoever usually means the board is dead or bios is corrupted... I usually try turning the board on with no memory and/or no vidcard as a last resort... If there's still no beeps i then move the clear cmos jumper to clear, pull the battery and leave it for a day or two... This sometimes works but not very often...
Old October 26, 2011, 06:15 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Ya... no beeps whatsoever usually means the board is dead or bios is corrupted... I usually try turning the board on with no memory and/or no vidcard as a last resort... If there's still no beeps i then move the clear cmos jumper to clear, pull the battery and leave it for a day or two... This sometimes works but not very often...
Will try that now and leave it for the weekend. I hope I'll be lucky. Will provide an update next week.
Thanks.
Old October 26, 2011, 06:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try Fresh new battery ??