Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 21, 2011, 06:10 PM
Rookie

Default Bent Pins on my Asus Rampage 3 Formula X58 Motherboard

Ok short story on this motherboard,

Bought of kijiji today, knowingly that it has bent pins.

I go pick up this motherboard, and i see it is more severe than most motherboards with bent pins, but i buy it anyway, because i really wanted this specific board to replace my old EVGA SLI x3 motherboard i have running but that's if i ever get this thing in working order.

Here are some picks, i might start working on it tommorow, see if i can do anything with it.

Guy claimed that pins are just bent, none are missing, i look at it and it seems there is actually one pin missing.. Had not much of a story from it, claimed he bought it off another guy that had it for build, didn't want it and sold to him, and that he isn't too good with his hands and eyes to fix it, so he decided to sell it off instead of throwing it out.

I have read about the mechanical pencil and tweezers to fix it, and will try them out.

I'm gonna post pics to ask for your opinion on what i should do with it, how to fix or should i just keep it as a trophy, cause i love the way it looks.

EDIT: I have also read into it that the warrenty on these boards are around 3 years, and i do understand that they do not apply for RMA due to bent pins, but is it possible for ASUS to repair for a small fee? I am a very shy person, so i wouldn't want to call them, but anyone have any experience if it will actually work, and how much it will cost? And also if its possible to claim the warranty for a 3rd owner of such a product? Because these boards haven't been out for 3 years, especially with USB 3.0,

Comments, concerns, ideas?
Attached Images

Last edited by matthew2180; October 21, 2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old October 21, 2011, 06:30 PM
Allstar
F@H

If there is a pin missing I don't think I'd even try and fix it... Looks rather severe anyway. Frame it and put it on your wall

A mechanical pencil with the leads removed works great for straightening pins if you do try to fix it...
You'd need a really small one though...

Last edited by boggtrotter59; October 21, 2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old October 21, 2011, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

1-2 broken pins might not be a problem depending on which pin it is

but damn thats alot of bent pins i wouldnt even bother with that just too many and odds are some are gonna break they just too badly bent

since you got it there lol
get a good magnifying glass dont even attempt it withought one
if you can find a kniting needle

gl lol
take a break after 2-3 pins lol

just out of curiosity what did you pay?

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old October 21, 2011, 06:56 PM
Rookie

I actually do have a very small mechanical pencil..A nice BIC Quantech Mechanical Pencil, 0.5mm that i will try.
Old October 21, 2011, 06:56 PM
Rookie

Ah i payed 40$ for the board.
Old October 21, 2011, 07:01 PM
MVP

My System Specs

stop throwing bricks at your motherboards...
Old October 21, 2011, 07:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_brent View Post
stop throwing bricks at your motherboards...
Use darts instead
Old October 21, 2011, 07:29 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I've repaired more bent pins than that in a single socket. Move them back one by one and the trick (aside from the mechanical pencil and the magnifying glass) is to compare the reflexion of the bent pin vs. non-damaged ones. That's how I found it if the bent pin was back into position.

g/l
Old October 21, 2011, 08:04 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I think I can answer your Asus RMA questions. Asus goes by the serial number that you provide (it has a manufacture date in it) and if that is out, they ask you to provide an invoice/receipt (they will then go by the purchase date). Also, I had a LGA775 motherboard and it had one bent pin. I repaired it to the best of my ability, but you could still see that it was bent because of the light reflection as Charlie has said. Recently, I had to RMA it, and they did it for me. But I guess it's just your luck.
Old October 21, 2011, 08:35 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
Use darts instead
i know what i can use my old amd board for now a dart board powered by gigabyte