Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2011, 04:37 PM
Allstar

Default Welp! Lost keys to Thermaltake Xaser 3 case

I got a used Xaser III case and I just noticed that the front panel is locked! I got no keys and Thermaltake's store is showing the item as out of stock. I was planning to strip it, clean it, and install other stuff in it. Any methods of opening the lock without defacing the case?
Old October 20, 2011, 04:44 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Just a thought: From my experience the keys are generic... I have used keys from an Antec to open an thermaltake. If you have a friend that has a lockable case with that same style, ask to borrow his key.

Maybe it was not supposed to work but it did for me.
Old October 20, 2011, 04:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

^ what he said.
AFAIK all those round keys are alike and will unlock each other, i have a hotswap bay somewhere that has those kind of keys, if i can find it I'll PM you and you can have em.
Old October 20, 2011, 05:16 PM
Allstar

It's not the round key but the blade key (looks like a regular key). Just got an email back from Thermaltake and the item is back in stock! If my friend can't find the keys, I'll just order the new set and go pick it up in US. Can't believe they want $20 in shipping for a $6 item. Unless someone around GVRD got a set I can borrow.
Old October 20, 2011, 05:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ah alright, hopefully it works out for you.
Old October 20, 2011, 06:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

for $26.00 i'd drill out lock barrel and take remains to local locksmith so match up a real lock
Old October 20, 2011, 06:51 PM
Allstar

An old post on MajorGeek quoted a FAQ entry in Thermaltake (can't find it anymore) to hammer a flat blade screw driver into the lock. Not really comfortable with that method since it will leave the front panel flopping around since it's hinged.
Old October 21, 2011, 02:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
An old post on MajorGeek quoted a FAQ entry in Thermaltake (can't find it anymore) to hammer a flat blade screw driver into the lock. Not really comfortable with that method since it will leave the front panel flopping around since it's hinged.
yip cuts the pins out of barrel, but need skills with tools to pull it off

thats why i say use drill...caution to filings not to get inside of case
(have the door face the floor when drilling)

once opened can remove lock assy and take to locksmith to match-up lock
Old October 22, 2011, 11:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstep View Post
Just a thought: From my experience the keys are generic... I have used keys from an Antec to open an thermaltake. If you have a friend that has a lockable case with that same style, ask to borrow his key.

Maybe it was not supposed to work but it did for me.
I have a set kicking around, if you want I could drop one in snail mail for you, just got to find it first, let me know and if so I will hunt around in my spare parts room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton