Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2011, 12:19 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default NEED HELP URGENTLY (LOUD GRINDING NOISE)

I think my CPU fan has gone faulty, I'm just hearing a very loud grinding noise that sounds like the cpu area, speed fan is reporting it spinning at 16k RPM I'm just about to open it up here and try and see, I have one of the huge heat sinks so do you think it will be ok fanless for awhile?....I run 24/7 as well.
Old October 20, 2011, 12:23 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Probably not unless you have good airflow. Cant you just replace the fan?
Old October 20, 2011, 12:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

What kind of ambient temp your running with, and what kind of case is this all in. As well, what is the heatsink?

For shortterm or small bouts of low intensity work Passive cooling 'might' be okay. But personally I would not Do that at all.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 20, 2011, 12:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds like a fan but seems more common for it to be a video card fan.

To tell, just jam your finger in there and stop them. If the noise goes away, then that's your troubled fan. Of course, if you're running 8K RPM Deltas then perhaps that's not such a good idea, maybe just take the time to plug / unplug them while the computer is on.

If you're not running overclocked and not running computational programs like folding then you may be alright with no fan for a while, depending on your setup.
Old October 20, 2011, 12:37 PM
MVP

My System Specs

It's a huge passive cooler, not quite sure of how to change the fan on it as I believe it was hard wired to the sensor and such tonight or if things go bad im going to pull it out of its little hole in sits in, the case is a cool master 932 HAF I'm not sure what the heatsink/fan is but I just know its about eight inches high like it is huuuge, my cpu is at 42C right now which is a little hot, I don't think it's my video card as this noise is like at the top of the case so I'll take a look at it in a few, if I slap my case a bit it sorta goes back to working i did just clear alot of dust out of it as well (top fan and the sides) I'm positive it is my cpu fan cause I believe it was only rated at like 2500-3200 RPM for a 120mm fan hell probably even lower then that...

EDIT: Also my GFX card is only at 50c which is pretty normal for a idling 260GTX right? So that makes me highly doubt it would be the video card.
Old October 25, 2011, 10:54 AM
Rookie

Probably the CPU fan then, if you wanted to be safe, you can always underclock your processor, but 42degC doesn't seem too bad.