Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 23, 2011, 04:26 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

4 pages of troubleshooting is a rare occurence on this Forum.

Reading though all, 2 possiblities based on experience: bad ram, or a dying SSD / HDD.

I don't believe you actually tested the ram to find errors. If you can boot into windows, use this little program: MemTest: RAM reliability tester for Windows. Open it 4 times, and specify that 1024mb should be tested. Let all 4 run until they reach 200% coverage. A single error can cause your issue.

If you can't boot into windows, use this app: http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20....installer.zip. Follow the instructions to create a bootable USB. Let the app run a few hours. Again, not one error is acceptable.

For your WD HDD, d/l their app: WD Support / Downloads / SATA & SAS / WD Caviar Green / GP. Either for DOS, or Windows. Make sure you run ALL tests. I received a Caviar Green today from a customer's RAID 1 that passed the SMART, short and long tests - but failed to write 0s. Really bad sectors.
Old October 23, 2011, 05:45 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

unplug all your front usb and sound connections
usb on a firewire possibly?
just throwing them out there
Old October 23, 2011, 07:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post

Reading though all, 2 possiblities based on experience: bad ram, or a dying SSD / HDD.

I don't believe you actually tested the ram to find errors. If you can boot into windows, use this little program: MemTest: RAM reliability tester for Windows. Open it 4 times, and specify that 1024mb should be tested. Let all 4 run until they reach 200% coverage. A single error can cause your issue.

If you can't boot into windows, use this app: http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20....installer.zip. Follow the instructions to create a bootable USB. Let the app run a few hours. Again, not one error is acceptable.

For your WD HDD, d/l their app: WD Support / Downloads / SATA & SAS / WD Caviar Green / GP. Either for DOS, or Windows. Make sure you run ALL tests. I received a Caviar Green today from a customer's RAID 1 that passed the SMART, short and long tests - but failed to write 0s. Really bad sectors.
My WD HDD is for storage, i use ssd for boot drive.
Old October 23, 2011, 07:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleo View Post
unplug all your front usb and sound connections
usb on a firewire possibly?
just throwing them out there
I am using case usb for my mouse and keyboard and theyre all working fine. So i dont think that i plug them in a wrong spot.
Old October 23, 2011, 08:28 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Just had someone today with similar problem.

I noticed that a MS process that deals with scsi/ahci was being an issue. I tried a couple of things and eventually I went to the bios and changed the sata option to IDE mode instead of AHCI. A boot into windows and reboot did the trick in my case.
f, did you see this? I saw this elsewhere on the 'net from someone else too. Make sure you have the controller in the bios set properly.

Related, check with the website of your SSD maker see if they have new firmware - Corsair just came out with new last week.
Gigabyte GTX780
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old October 23, 2011, 08:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by keto View Post
f, did you see this? I saw this elsewhere on the 'net from someone else too. Make sure you have the controller in the bios set properly.

Related, check with the website of your SSD maker see if they have new firmware - Corsair just came out with new last week.

I check my ssd version and its outdated, mine is 0002 and the new firmware is 0009. I just need to understand how to update the firmware. Cuz its kinda hard for me to do it.
Old October 23, 2011, 11:52 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:

It freeze up when doing memtest. -_-
Old October 24, 2011, 11:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by feubarkada View Post
ok them follow the instruction
"If you can't boot into windows, use this app: http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20....installer.zip. Follow the instructions to create a bootable USB. Let the app run a few hours. Again, not one error is acceptable."
if you follow those instruction it should let you run the test without Windows booted you could also try to run the mem test in safe mode
Old October 24, 2011, 12:10 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by feubarkada View Post
Which one. W7 or DOS.
Old October 24, 2011, 12:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Which one. W7 or DOS.
I did this.

Quote: