Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2011, 08:08 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Mobo Woes?

So a few months ago I posted my short stack build:

Project ShortStack

Everything was working great until recently. I had some concerns about cooling. Being a SFF case and the caliber of parts I put in, this little box was pumping out alot of heat. So I had switched over to a Fractal Define mini (will post pics soon) in hopes of cooling this sucker down, which I did.

However, I come into another issue that I guess I have been putting off. I've been getting regular BSOD's in the last week or so before I changed out cases. My initial thought was that it was due to improper cooling inside my case. I've been lazy and forgot to write down the BSOD codes but this is the main one I've been receiving:

page fault in a non paged area

After I hooked everything up in the new fractal case, I recieved several BSOD's ranging from memory management, to one's that dealt with my USB 3.0 controller, to my video card. I stripped it down and tried booting with no USB peripherals plugged in except my keyboard and mouse and it booted fine. From there I re-attached my dual harddrive dock that is USB 3.0 (that has a single 3TB WD green in it)and this is where I started narrowing down issues. Whenever I begin to transfer files to or from it or stream videos (this is my main media drive) from my computer or my WDTV, it will give me the "page fault in a non paged area" BSOD. I've also noticed that I will also get BSOD's when I'm accessing my other data drive (one 500gb random storage) that is hooked up internally.

I'm running a asus P8P67-M pro board, and have updated chipset, bios and USB 3.0 drivers. I have my page file set to my main data drive (1TB WD Black). Temperature isn't an issue because I have physical temp monitors watching all the drives and CPU. Only thing I haven't done is a memtest, which I guess I should do, but I was wondering if my Mobo is just crapping out due to the variety of BSOD's I've been receiving.

I will try and update with the error codes as I see them, any insight to this would help.

Thanks
Old October 18, 2011, 08:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am wondering if it is just a coincidence that this is happening. I would first try to remember any changes to your OS recently like driver changes or new software or recent downloads, things like that and then check those out,also see if if there is a certain program or combination of programs that are running when this happens. then also do the standard stress testing.
Old October 18, 2011, 03:33 PM
MVP
F@H

I've noticed another side effect of BSODs that complicate troubleshooting. The initial crash or crashes may result in corrupt OS files which can get worse, so you can't always be certain of the cause.

Try running a Linux Boot CD and see if the computer is stable - at least you'll be able to eliminate corrupt files as a potential problem.

But first thing I'd do is Memtest the memory one stick at a time.
Old October 28, 2011, 06:15 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Issue resolved!! After days of mem testing, stress testing, BSODs, driver upgrading, firmware updating, I have found the solution... Looks like Asus boards (possibly all boards? not sure) have this little thing called a TPU switch.. I guess it was flicked off when I put my board in the new case because when I re-enabled it, everything was up running stable!! Who woulda thought....