Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   Artifacts on boot screen and integrated graphics in Windows [GPU is dead?] (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/47299-artifacts-boot-screen-integrated-graphics-windows-gpu-dead.html)

Psycho-Designs October 13, 2011 05:32 PM

Artifacts on boot screen and integrated graphics in Windows [GPU is dead?]

Hello guys,

I was running a couple of GPU hungry programs [Maya, UDK, and Photoshop] when the PC crashed. I rebooted and it worked fine before it crashed few min later. I left it off over night and this morning it seemed ok for few min before it crashed again. Now the problem is consistent. When I boot it I get artifacts on the very first boot screen, they disappear on the next screen where I'm asked which OS I want to boot. When windows is launched, it is ran on integrated graphics [I think, low resolution, no transparent windows Effects, no Dual screens, no 3D]

I've reinstalled [clean install] the GPU drivers, I even tried moving the GPU to a different slot on the motherboard, it gave me an error and told me to put it back to slot one [on boot, the artifacts where still there]. Nothing made a difference.

Here is a really bad photo of the artifacts

In the Device Manager it shows the GPU with an exclamation mark with no indication on what that means, not even a tool box when I hover over it.

Is my GPU dead? I can't afford to buy a new one, not for a while. I really need all the help I can get!

System info:
GPU: 8800GT
CPU: Q6600 quad core
Motherboard: Evga Nvidia 780i
PSU: Corsair HX620W

boggtrotter59 October 13, 2011 05:37 PM

Check to make sure the cooling fan on the card is working correctly...

Psycho-Designs October 13, 2011 05:44 PM

It is. The GPU's heat sink feels a bit warm to the touch, but definitely not HOT.

boggtrotter59 October 13, 2011 05:52 PM

If you have access to another machine, try the card in it and see if you get the same problem.

Galcobar October 13, 2011 05:52 PM

I recognize those symptoms -- 8800 GTS, though it's not really card-specific. Solved them with a session of card baking, 200C for 7-10 minutes. Reflows the solder, restoring connections loosened over time by heat cycling. If I catch it early I can usually get through the rest of the day by running my card at minimum possible settings courtesy of EVGA Precision, but do eventually have to bake it. Done it a few times, a baking usually lasts six months -- but my card's always had heat issues and even when new wouldn't run over 82C without crashing. Your results are likely to be better.

Unless of course you're looking for an excuse to upgrade...

Psycho-Designs October 13, 2011 06:10 PM

Huh, this gives me hope but makes me nervous! I'll save it as a last resort...
Thanks!

boggtrotter59 October 13, 2011 06:15 PM

You could also try replacing the thermal paste and/or flashing the bios on the card before trying the baking trick. Both long shots but you never know...

Psycho-Designs October 13, 2011 07:02 PM

I'm not sure how to flash the bios, I'll look it up!

boggtrotter59 October 13, 2011 07:12 PM

Haven't done it in a while but you transfer nvflash and the bios file to a bootable thumb drive reboot and run nvflash IIRC. I'ts pretty simple just can't remember the exact steps...

Tainger October 20, 2011 12:22 PM

try a heat gun and reflow specific parts of the card rather than bake the whole thing