Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   GPU driver problem (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/47186-gpu-driver-problem.html)

SuperBbqLover October 10, 2011 02:29 AM

GPU driver problem

HI guys recently bought and built a new system and found that i have to re install GPU drivers every time i boot up from a shut down, not a restart. I have downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia and install them each and every time. This is my first build and am having doubts if i have assembled it correctly. Please Help!!!

Specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4
i7-2600 (Stock Clock)
8 GB ram
ASUS GeForce GTX 570 CUII
WD Caviar Black 1TB
OCZ Agility 60GB
LG DVD Burner
Corsair AX 850W

keto October 10, 2011 07:39 AM

Couple things to check:
-your power connections. All of them but particularly the ones to your vid card. Turn off system, unplug from wall, check every connection. Look in motherboard manual to make sure all the right stuff is going to the right place.
-could be something in your bios. Did you update your bios and all drivers with the latest versions on Gigabyte's website?

boggtrotter59 October 10, 2011 09:01 AM

Could be a dead or dying cmos battery...

LarkStarr October 10, 2011 09:46 AM

I question if your drivers are being installed correctly in the first place. in addition to above, if it's a new rig, I'd also just take the worst case scenario and reformat it, give it a nice fresh start, along with the above suggestions. I doubt the battery would be dying on a new motherboard, nor would that affect GPU drivers in the OS.

boggtrotter59 October 10, 2011 10:29 AM

If the bios isn't detecting the card properly it would appear as new hardware and the drivers won't load... The fact that it only happens when the machine is turned off suggests the cmos isn't retaining data, hence why I suggested checking the battery... It's a longshot on a new board but I've had it happen before...

roh_ultima October 10, 2011 01:01 PM

eh i had that happen with my card

i either had to go through windows 7 to install the driver or went directly to amd and re-download
uninstall the old one and reinstall

Shadowmeph October 10, 2011 03:47 PM

is your card detected in the device manager ?
I would go to the device manager find your card and right click remove your card then reboot see what happens, win7 should (after the reboot) detect new hardware when that happens you can either stop it from automatically installing the driver and just install manually or let the win7 search for the driver to install.
another thing it could be is that you are not installing with Administrative privileges

Slik October 11, 2011 08:19 AM

What driver are you on? The 280 series are known to cause many issues. Try an older set. The 260 series are stable and worth a try.

SuperBbqLover October 16, 2011 10:54 PM

I went into a local computer shop with my PC and gave them the problem. The simply disabled the USUS utility and everything worked great.

REMEMBER DO NOT INSTALL ASUS UTILITY lol