Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 24, 2011, 05:27 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Asus P5Q-E no post

The computer turns for about 5 seconds, turns off, then comes right back on. It does not post then it turns it self off after about 30 seconds and stays off..

No sure what to do

Look at me, I'm wearing one shape up
Old September 24, 2011, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertuxedopants View Post
The computer turns for about 5 seconds, turns off, then comes right back on. It does not post then it turns it self off after about 30 seconds and stays off..

No sure what to do
Start process of elimination.

Take out one RAM stick if you have two or more. Then alternate to see if anything changes. What is your PSU plugged into?

Only have the computer & monitor plugged in to a surge protector, for e.g., nothing else.

Any way of getting a hold of a power supply tester?

Do you have a spare video card to test that you know works so you can eliminate a video card problem. I bet it's not that, though.

This sounds memory related or power supply related although a mobo that has some issue might contribute or cause such an issue?

Anyone else? Maybe I'm off on the wrong track but I'm just suggesting some relatively easy things to try.

I believe when a computer does that, it's testing some component (and feature) and something doesn't work properly so as a safeguard, it turns itself off. Try to borrow some memory sticks and another power supply to make sure it's none of yours that is contributing to the problem.

Edit: two other things to try:
1) check your BIOS if you can get to it...if not, try #2
2) check your power connections/connectors, that your cables are plugged in properly

Last edited by Borg; September 24, 2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old September 24, 2011, 07:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Some basic info and tips here:
CPU, RAM and Motherboard Troubleshooting - PC Memory, Processor and Motherboard Diagnostic Flowchart

There are many more tips to be found using the power of google. You may have to pull everything out of your case and put mobo on non conductive surface. You then add what you need for components in an orderly fashion while booting up to see if you can isolate the component that is fubared. In my experience most of my problems have been ram related.
Old September 24, 2011, 07:19 PM
Top Prospect

Before trying anything else, unplgug power cables to mobo, take out cmos battery, wait 5 seconds, replug everything, including battery, and try again.
Old September 24, 2011, 08:38 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I think its the motherboard. The CPU power pins were bent a little so i bent them back. Could a wrongly seated heatsink cause posting problems?

EDIT: Also does it make a difference that the Motherboard is not mounted in a case. Its just sitting on top of a motherboard box?

thanks!

Last edited by Mistertuxedopants; September 24, 2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old September 24, 2011, 11:17 PM
Top Prospect

I have run my computer caseless many times, all work 100%. Are you sure though you didn't short it some how?
Old September 25, 2011, 03:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
I think its the motherboard. The CPU power pins were bent a little so i bent them back. Could a wrongly seated heatsink cause posting problems?

EDIT: Also does it make a difference that the Motherboard is not mounted in a case. Its just sitting on top of a motherboard box?

thanks!
I'd say definitely for the first one and not necessarily for the 2nd.

As NI3 says, it's possible to run things with the mobo out of the case.

But, if the heat sink is not properly seated, then the cpu isn't having the heat absorbed enough. In fact, I'd bet that is your problem.

If you can tell it's not properly seated (bent pins etc), you ought to re-apply the thermal compound, for e.g. Arctic Silver 5, and try booting again.
Old September 25, 2011, 06:36 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI3 View Post
I have run my computer caseless many times, all work 100%. Are you sure though you didn't short it some how?
Ding ding ding, i am pretty sure i shorted the motherboard some how. I found an Asus P5K that i had laying around. Swapped all the part onto that and it booted no problem.

damn that was a good board tooooo

Thanks for all your help guys

Old September 25, 2011, 06:57 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Are there any split caps on the board? I know the issue is resolved however there was a.few gens of asus popping caps for fun...I cant count the number of comps I recieved where thst was the issue. Thankfully they changed capmfg or I wouldnt touch them
Old October 24, 2011, 04:04 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Ding ding ding, i am pretty sure i shorted the motherboard some how. I found an Asus P5K that i had laying around. Swapped all the part onto that and it booted no problem.

damn that was a good board tooooo

Thanks for all your help guys
I am posting this because I saw you are online and my issue is similar. My system starts for 2 seconds, then stops for another couple of seconds and then on again, but no post. I have changed the video card, nothing. This is a system that was working ok until this afternoon. Any suggestions please??