Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 22, 2011, 01:23 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default New Ram and now I can't boot into windows???

I just bought new RAM. 12 gb of Corsair Vengeance 1600 mhz
I was previously running 4 gb Corsair Dominator 1600 mhz, my system was overclocked to 4 ghz on a i7 930. When I installed the RAM I reset everything back to stock clocks and it won't boot into windows. I get a blue screen when the Starting Windows Logo comes up. I can't see what the blue screen tells me because it's literally up for a half sec. I've also tried running my overclock adjusting the RAM settings but still no go. Also even when I set everything back to stock clocks with my previous RAM and it still won't boot into windows. Is it possible that I've been running my 4 ghz overclock for so long that my CPU doesn't want to boot with stock clocks? System still boots if I put my old RAM in and run my overclock.
Old September 22, 2011, 03:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Have you tried each stick individually? There could be a bad module.
Old September 22, 2011, 04:32 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Just ran each stick of RAM at there spec settings with Memtest86 and each one passed. Also tried all three and they still passed.
Old September 23, 2011, 04:52 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Insure all speeds in the BIOS are at default and check the voltage, I've had the BIOS default to a slightly too low voltage before, increased slightly and problem solved (Just make sure you don't exceed spec).

Another Guy From Canada
Old September 23, 2011, 04:55 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarl View Post
Insure all speeds in the BIOS are at default and check the voltage, I've had the BIOS default to a slightly too low voltage before, increased slightly and problem solved (Just make sure you don't exceed spec).
I pressed the clear cmos button on my mobo to set everything to default, also set everything to default within the bios. Still no go.
Old September 23, 2011, 10:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well try one stick at a time and see if it boots into window if it doesn't then you might have to mamnually set the timings of the ram, I had to do this once with some ram but once I set the ram timings through the bios I had no problems at all.
Old September 23, 2011, 10:46 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

There is a thread somewhere (sorry at work don't have time to dig it up)

On steps to take with no post. What I normally do and it is in there but in more detail.

Turn off computer, turn off PSU, unplug power to PSU, hold power button on tower for 10 seconds (to drain any left over power), remove battery from motherboard (be careful!) I've seen guys put a screwdriver down pretty hard on the motherboard lol.

Let it sit for an hour or so. Leave battery out, plug in power to psu, turn on psu, turn on tower, go right into bios, reset to factory defaults (in bios). Then try booting into windows

**I would do one stick first just to make sure it boots then add the others one stick at a time.**

Best of luck!

Comp1 (Mine) : ASUS P9X79 LE, 3960X, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1333, PNY 770 4GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB, OCZ Vertex3 480GB, 600GB VelociRaptor, Corsair 1000HX, Cool Master Cosmos 2

Comp2 (Wife's) : ASUS Sabertooth P67, i7 2700K, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866, 1TB HD, 2TB HD, EVGA 660, Corsair 1000HX, HAF 922

Comp3 (Kids) : ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2700K, 8GB 1866 GSkill, Gigabyte 770, Crucial M4 120GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB,1TB WD Black, Antec 850W, Antec 120
Old September 23, 2011, 12:24 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well I got it to boot into windows, turns out since I an SSD and I reset the cmos it when to default SATA IDE. I needed to turn it to AHCI. Now I have new problem. When I overclock my cpu it's saying in the system control panel 8.99 gb usable. I had this problem before with my other RAM but I just switch MCH to DRAM Ratio and it fixed the problem. When I go to do that with the new RAM is doesn't post at all.