Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2, 2011, 11:12 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I had a very similar problem - random lock-ups after installing a new Antec 920 CPU cooler. I had to remove the mobo to install the backplate, so it was more or less a complete rebuild to put the new cooler on. Once the crashes started I did the following: cleared the CMOS, updated BIOS to 1850, and then ran Prime 95. It would fail almost immediately fail on In-place large FFT's (Fatal Error:Rounding...), but ran perfectly with Small FFT's. I ram Memtest for 2 passes and all seemed fine, but when I try the Blend test with Prime 95 some of the cores fail immediately. So was it the CPU or the RAM????

Seeing how this occured after the cooler was installed I thought it might be a temperature issue but temps were high but stable during Prime95 load - high 60's low 70's. I figure it was either the CPU and cooler, the RAM, or the motherboard...that narrows it down.

Yesterday, I tackled the problem again - I removed the Antec 920 and applied new Arctic Silver TP, and GENTLY re-installed the cooler - not too tight. Then I removed both RAM and put one stick into slot A2. I ran Prime95 Large FFT's for 3.5 hours no problems. Switched in the other stick of RAM by itself - no problems for 1.5 hrs. Reinstalled both RAM sticks in slots A2 and B2, but switched from original positions. Since then everything seems to be running smoothly - Prime95 ran for over an hour - no trouble.

I think either the Antec 920 cooler was installed too tightly causing the board to flex, or my RAM was not seated properly (even though I pushed down on them several times over the last week). I also, checked all cables yesterday - seemed OK. Oh well, the gremlins have gone back to sleep...for now.

Some were saying that the MSI Afterburner software might be a cause for the lock-up. I have it installed, and still do...no problems from that. I did uninstall some of the clutter: I had multiple temperature programs - CPUID HWMonitor and Spedfan - removed both, went with CoreTemp.

Now, if I can only stop the occasional double post on bootup (Disabling the CPU PLL Voltage may have done the trick yesterday), and the mouse drift I have always had in the ASUS EFI BIOS (wireless MS mobile mouse 3000)....
Old October 18, 2011, 11:11 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by caperjoe View Post
I had a very similar problem - random lock-ups after installing a new Antec 920 CPU cooler. I had to remove the mobo to install the backplate, so it was more or less a complete rebuild to put the new cooler on. Once the crashes started I did the following: cleared the CMOS, updated BIOS to 1850, and then ran Prime 95. It would fail almost immediately fail on In-place large FFT's (Fatal Error:Rounding...), but ran perfectly with Small FFT's. I ram Memtest for 2 passes and all seemed fine, but when I try the Blend test with Prime 95 some of the cores fail immediately. So was it the CPU or the RAM????

Seeing how this occured after the cooler was installed I thought it might be a temperature issue but temps were high but stable during Prime95 load - high 60's low 70's. I figure it was either the CPU and cooler, the RAM, or the motherboard...that narrows it down.

Yesterday, I tackled the problem again - I removed the Antec 920 and applied new Arctic Silver TP, and GENTLY re-installed the cooler - not too tight. Then I removed both RAM and put one stick into slot A2. I ran Prime95 Large FFT's for 3.5 hours no problems. Switched in the other stick of RAM by itself - no problems for 1.5 hrs. Reinstalled both RAM sticks in slots A2 and B2, but switched from original positions. Since then everything seems to be running smoothly - Prime95 ran for over an hour - no trouble.

I think either the Antec 920 cooler was installed too tightly causing the board to flex, or my RAM was not seated properly (even though I pushed down on them several times over the last week). I also, checked all cables yesterday - seemed OK. Oh well, the gremlins have gone back to sleep...for now.

Some were saying that the MSI Afterburner software might be a cause for the lock-up. I have it installed, and still do...no problems from that. I did uninstall some of the clutter: I had multiple temperature programs - CPUID HWMonitor and Spedfan - removed both, went with CoreTemp.

Now, if I can only stop the occasional double post on bootup (Disabling the CPU PLL Voltage may have done the trick yesterday), and the mouse drift I have always had in the ASUS EFI BIOS (wireless MS mobile mouse 3000)....
well after almost a month ... No lockups ! I'm pretty happy I fixed it. I even ran the BF3 beta for couple days. Worked like a charm

yeah that double post makes me rage ... I had a 680i and I boot 3 times faster than this ...
CPU Intel Core i7 2700K 3.5GHZ
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V
Memory Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX