Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 17, 2011, 01:36 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

They only replace an itme with another open box item, they will not give you a brand new board. before they refunded me fully and paid for my shipping for gtx 570 oc, they offered to change it to another open box 570 and I asked them if they will give me a new one and they said, no, so then I had a choice to get a refund which is pretty good still. Sorry but NCIX are pretty good and they only will replace an open box item with another open box item and not a brand new one. Even though they say in their official ebay:

All sales are final. No refunds or Exchange. Replacement for defective items or refund if item is defective and replacement is not available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_bradler View Post
No they'll refund it. I don't want a refund though I want that stupid board. I'm going to see if I can repair it or if Asus will fix it. I didn't even have enough money for it in the first place and now I'm stuck with all this other shit I bought along with it. I have no capacity to get a refund and then turn around and buy the exact same thing back off them for 70 more dollars. Whatever I have nothing on them there is no way I can say they did anything wrong, they are refunding me which I consider the bare minimum they could possibly do. I'm just pissed because they clearly state there is preference given to replacing it, if they can. Which I know they can because they have plenty of these boards. I just think they should change the wording on their ebay auctions given that they'd obviously never replace a defective open box item with another one given you don't pay full retail. All of this hassle and I end up with less than what I started with. Plus my cat literally just died at the vet. Supposed to be a good weekend, and now it's just got me one step away from blowing my head off.
Old September 17, 2011, 07:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

What exactly is wrong with the board? I'm clearly missing something...or everyone is in on the trolling.

It looks identical to the pictures on the ASUS site: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX
Old September 17, 2011, 07:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Take a close look at the cpu socket. It's missing the retention plate.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old September 17, 2011, 08:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo' power View Post
Take a close look at the cpu socket. It's missing the retention plate.
Wow, tough to notice that at first glance.

Shame NCIX won't replace it with a functioning board, but I guess that's a chance you take with open-box items. I'm guessing the plastic rentention-cover or whatever you want to call it just pushes on. I know the SATA ports on motherboards are like that as I literally ripped out one on my board just trying to remove a SATA cable... I was able to push it back on though without breaking any pins.

I guess somebody did the same with the CPU...somehow and then returned the board. I guess NCIX didn't check the board at all before selling it which is really poor on their part.

Anyways, just step back and take a breath! Don't get too worked up over things.
Old September 18, 2011, 08:30 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

And this is were NCIX should be liable. Upon receiving the board, they should have tested it for functionality. Obviously, they did not. That's how I would play my cards to get a full refund, or even push for a replacement board.

And no, we don't troll amongst each other.
Old September 18, 2011, 09:04 AM
da_bradler

But anyways the take away of all this, there customer service is fine, they were pretty prompt to offer me a full refund(although not the shipping because it was a combined order). but just be aware that they obviously don't even do a physical inspection of the open box stuff they sell. it's probably cheaper for them to pay for the occasional return than hire staff to do any quality control on the stuff that comes through. Basically I loaned them money for a couple weeks while I diagnosed their board for them.
Old September 18, 2011, 10:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_bradler View Post
But anyways the take away of all this, there customer service is fine, they were pretty prompt to offer me a full refund(although not the shipping because it was a combined order). but just be aware that they obviously don't even do a physical inspection of the open box stuff they sell. it's probably cheaper for them to pay for the occasional return than hire staff to do any quality control on the stuff that comes through. Basically I loaned them money for a couple weeks while I diagnosed their board for them.

That might be a bit hasty. Although I understand your clear reasons for being upset at the situation, I would say this is actually just one of the few cases where something slipped through the cracks. Typically NCIX DOES test their returned products for defective products before reselling open box. They have also always done very well by me in regards to their customer service. NCIX has even gone so far as to go well over and above on their return/exchange policy for me in one particular case.

In short, your situation is a bummer, but NCIX was obviously happy to refund your money with almost no issue. That's is as much as any retailer would do for you. I'd consider chalking this up to being unlucky on an open box item, and not hanging your entire NCIX opinion on it. After all, better to find an obvious problem with an open box, then a subtle one 6 months down the road with it blue screening on you during OC's or something. At least this one was easy to identify and get money back on.

Hope your dealings go smoother in the future. And good luck with your build.