Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 9, 2011, 01:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default No POST Or Beep

My computer suddenly decided not to boot up today. I pressed the power button and it doesn't POST, so I opened up the case to see what's up, and noticed that the CPU fan doesn't spin when I try to boot it up. It also seems that clearing CMOS doesn't work either. I've already tried running with the bare minimum of CPU, motherboard, PSU, and one stick of RAM. Even with just those three things, it still won't beep and go POST. Could it be that the CPU died seeing how the fan spins for a second then it stops? I can't even turn it off using the power button.
Old September 9, 2011, 01:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
My computer suddenly decided not to boot up today. I pressed the power button and it doesn't POST, so I opened up the case to see what's up, and noticed that the CPU fan doesn't spin when I try to boot it up. It also seems that clearing CMOS doesn't work either. I've already tried running with the bare minimum of CPU, motherboard, PSU, and one stick of RAM. Even with just those three things, it still won't beep and go POST. Could it be that the CPU died seeing how the fan spins for a second then it stops? I can't even turn it off using the power button.
I'd start with new PSU first. If that fails then I'd say your looking at a board failure.
Old September 9, 2011, 01:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Also try booting without the 8 pin cpu connector plugged in.

Noticed you're a folder and your board has an older VRM design meant for lower TDP CPUs. Good chance it's a VRM/PSU failure due to a bad PSU or high current draw.
Old September 9, 2011, 01:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I should add that the other case fans and HDD spins and everything. It's just that the board won't POST.

Edit: I think my motherboard died. I first swapped the PSU with an Antec Earthwatts 500W that I have lying around, running just the essential mobo, CPU, and RAM. No go. Thought I'd need the GPU so I threw that in as well. No go. Then I swapped CPUs with my sister's AM2+ rig and still no go. Only thing I haven't tested yet is my CPU in her motherboard.

I think the BIOS chip blew up or something. On both BIOS chips, there's a copper coloured stain. Maybe that's why there was a burnt smell last night.

Edit 2: Decided to try again once more after eating dinner and it booted up with my sister's CPU in my motherboard. Then I put my CPU into my sister's motherboard and it worked as well. What the hell just happened?

Edit 3: It seems to be a PSU failure. Guess it's time to throw it out and use the Antec Sonata III I had lying around.

Last edited by geokilla; September 9, 2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old September 9, 2011, 09:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok as the previous edits says, everything is good now, except for one thing. I have project 6802 and right now my GTX 460 is sitting at 70C for some odd reason. Normally, these WU fold at around 60C! Now my old PSU did die so I'm thinking, did going from a GameXStream to Earthwatts really affect ambient case temperatures that much? I did put the GPU on the ground with the fan facing down instead of PCB facing down. Could I have destroyed something?
Old September 9, 2011, 09:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If the earthwatt is less powerful, it could be under a heavier load and producing more heat.
Old September 9, 2011, 09:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's a 500W PSU compared to the GameXStream which was a 600W. Maybe I need to do some cable management in the morning. The Earthwatts has notoriously bad cable management compared to the GameXStream.

It seems that it's not just the GPU that's gotten a lot hotter, but everything else as well in my system. CPU is at 64C under F@H load compared to before which is normally at around 55C to 58C. Btw the CPU temperatures are taken from HWMonitor.
Old September 9, 2011, 09:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Wattage means squat. Just cause it says 600w don't mean anything.

Look at the full load rating on the side.
Old September 9, 2011, 11:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The 12V rating or what? Looking at my GameXStream, there's no such rating.

And now both my CPU and GPU are maxed out at 70C. Maybe I didn't use enough thermal paste on the CPU... Touching the top of the CPU case and feeling the exhaust air, it's flaming hot. I have a front intake as well!
Old September 9, 2011, 11:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

70 isn't a safe temp for phenom II's.
try to aim for the low 60's.