Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 3, 2011, 07:59 PM
Top Prospect

yep the recovery/repair install worked just fine and didnt even throw me an error. yet still having the same issue booting. Just finished rebuilding my boot.ini with the recovery console and no luck either.

thinking of burning up the ultimatebootcd4windows and giving this thing a test run.
Old September 3, 2011, 08:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The Marvell chipset is the third party chipset for your board, I doubt you installed your Windows with it. Plug your hard drive into a native Intel chipset port and try again.
Old September 3, 2011, 09:02 PM
Top Prospect

im currently running a slow going CHKDSK /R on my drive because /p found an error. once that passes (and if it doesnt work), ill definitely try and place the harddrive in a native intel port -Honestly never thought of that because the harddrive has always worked in the same sata plug, time to bust out the motherboard manual to see which ports are the native ones.
Old September 3, 2011, 09:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericllama View Post
im currently running a slow going CHKDSK /R on my drive because /p found an error. once that passes (and if it doesnt work), ill definitely try and place the harddrive in a native intel port -Honestly never thought of that because the harddrive has always worked in the same sata plug, time to bust out the motherboard manual to see which ports are the native ones.
If it's always been on the same sata plug then that's not the issue. I was merely pointing out that most people install their OS on the native sata controller for faster boot times.
Old September 3, 2011, 11:51 PM
Top Prospect

welp, finished the CHKDSK /R and changed nothing.
I hit up the manual to check all the sata ports and they're all located next to eachother so im assuming your on or apart the marvell chipset.

I noticed my bios isnt currently up to date but its equally not out of date in comparison. Would and or could this possibly solve my problem? (ive heard p5q bios updates tend to be iffy and many people have fried their board so if i can avoid updating the bios i will.)

im currently going to try getting that UBCD4Win and see where i go with that

edit*

Well ive updated the bios to the latest (2209) and still no advancement and ive tried UBCD4Win and i was able to access my harddrive and backup a few small things that i definitely need.

Im still oh-so confused and at this point, i dont know where to go. Could it be that my Mobo fried? ugh.

edit* hmmmm maybe its a boot sector virus? time to reload up UBCD4Win and run some scans. also i quickly read up on "FDISK /mdr", any thoughts?

Last edited by genericllama; September 4, 2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old September 4, 2011, 01:01 PM
Top Prospect

well problem has been solved folks. apparently my MBR was altered and wouldnt work. did a simple MBR fix with UBCD4win and now im backing up all my stuff to do a reformatt so i can start from fresh. Thank you everyone at HWC, the idea bouncing really helped me out.

Thanks again, sincerely
Tom