Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 3, 2011, 05:40 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default Old laptop's screen won't turn on

I've recently picked up a free old HP laptop (has a floppy drive ) to try and restore it to a usable state to give it to a family in need. (A little program I've started with the help of local schools)

From what the person was saying it was working, but I doubt they tested it before handing it to me. When I turn it on, lights come on, I can hear the hard drive spinning up but the screen won't come on. I don't want to mess too much with it, but what could be possible actions I could take? I've tried to make sure the button that shuts off the screen when you close the lid isn't stuck, other than that I'm a little clue less when it comes to laptop screens.

If I can't fix it, no worries I'll just tear it apart for fun and learn a little more about laptops.
Old September 3, 2011, 05:45 AM
Allstar

Hve you tried the function plus one of the F keys to toggle the screen on and off?
Old September 3, 2011, 06:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

Plug it into an external monitor; no video = dead laptop

You can also try pulling the memory out and re-seating it as well as taking out the battery and running it straight off AC
Old September 3, 2011, 10:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Also, bring the laptop to a bright place when you turn it on, tilt the screen, look from different angle and see if you can see anything on the screen. Backlight may be dead. Otherwise, Enaberif's external suggestion is the easiest way to find out what's broken.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old September 12, 2011, 11:06 AM
Rookie

If it does end up being a backlight issue, make sure you try to replace the inverter first. They are more prone to fail, and are easier to replace than the actual backlight bulb.