Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 1, 2011, 10:57 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default Plugged in, not charging

Compaq V2000, Windows 7 32-bit. Originally an XP laptop. W7 was installed maybe a year ago and right off the bat "consider replacing your battery" came on. Laptop wasn't used regularly to merit battery replacement and no issues whatsoever except battery can do less than an hour on browsing so I just ignored it. Lately, it has been shutting off after using it for about an hour with the AC adapter plugged in. Checked the battery icon and it says "plugged in, not charging" (it might have been there even before just never paid attention), but it is actually charging, charged percentage goes up.

I bought a new battery for it (kudos to Battdepot.ca, for the $2 difference between regular and express, I received the battery yesterday after putting the order Tuesday morning) and the X mark on the battery icon is now gone but the message "plugged in, not charging" is still there. Again, it is charging.

I read about this issue and it is quite a known issue. All the fixes that has been put up varies from physically manipulating the cord to uninstalling battery ACPI in the device manager, tried the ACPI fix but still the same.

I don't think it is a big issue since my battery is charging but I'd like to know if anyone has experienced this and what was done.

Old September 1, 2011, 11:23 AM
Banned
F@H

hold on a sec.

now, the battery gets charged up,holds charge,no issuest ehre right?

also describe ' physically manipulating the cord' pretty plz? :)

if you have doubts, install aida64 and check on the battery. it'll give you wear level and what not. usually it is correct.
Old September 1, 2011, 11:37 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

This is a well known issue when upgrading to Windows 7 on some notebooks. I had a Dell with the same issue and it drove me to buy a whole new computer.

Basically, the BIOS isn't properly reporting your battery status to the Windows 7 OS which causes it to show an error and mis-report battery levels. If this problem sticks around for too long, you'll never be able to use a battery in your notebook again, even if it is a new battery.

There is an 11 PART, 3000+ post thread on MS Technet regarding the issue if you are in the mood for a bit of reading: Windows 7 and the battery error "consider replacing your battery" (Part 1)

THe one thing that seems to work for SOME people is to disable C6 State in your BIOS.
Old September 1, 2011, 11:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

Try this:

"
Found this issue on both vista and now windows 7... Resolution in this case: Ensure you have all the latest updates from MS and the OEM, open device manager. Remove the battery related devices, usually Microsoft device drivers, you may or may not be able to remove "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" no worries it can remain. Shut the system down. Unplug the AC and boot only with battery, you may see, if in verbose mode, that Windows is updating registry settings and performing updates... once at the desktop allow completing any updates occurring at the desktop including any new hardware detections. Once done plug the ac in. You should see the System Tray battery icon animation showing charging now. Worked for me in a half dozen cases on various OEM with Vista and Windows 7. Hope this helps someone else... GOOD LUCK!"
Old September 1, 2011, 11:54 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Try this:

"
Found this issue on both vista and now windows 7... Resolution in this case: Ensure you have all the latest updates from MS and the OEM, open device manager. Remove the battery related devices, usually Microsoft device drivers, you may or may not be able to remove "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" no worries it can remain. Shut the system down. Unplug the AC and boot only with battery, you may see, if in verbose mode, that Windows is updating registry settings and performing updates... once at the desktop allow completing any updates occurring at the desktop including any new hardware detections. Once done plug the ac in. You should see the System Tray battery icon animation showing charging now. Worked for me in a half dozen cases on various OEM with Vista and Windows 7. Hope this helps someone else... GOOD LUCK!"
This has proven to be a temp fix unfortunately. The symptoms will come back in a few hours to a few days.
Old September 1, 2011, 11:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
This has proven to be a temp fix unfortunately. The symptoms will come back in a few hours to a few days.
Yah I know it may work for him tho.. *fingers crossed*
Old September 1, 2011, 12:16 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
This is a well known issue when upgrading to Windows 7 on some notebooks. I had a Dell with the same issue and it drove me to buy a whole new computer.

Basically, the BIOS isn't properly reporting your battery status to the Windows 7 OS which causes it to show an error and mis-report battery levels. If this problem sticks around for too long, you'll never be able to use a battery in your notebook again, even if it is a new battery.

There is an 11 PART, 3000+ post thread on MS Technet regarding the issue if you are in the mood for a bit of reading: Windows 7 and the battery error "consider replacing your battery" (Part 1)

THe one thing that seems to work for SOME people is to disable C6 State in your BIOS.
I pretty much spent some good hours reading about it last night and I thought about it could be the BIOS. I wonder if I switched to Linux distro that it won't affect the battery anymore? I've read some reporting that reverting back to Vista didn't really fix the "not charging" error, that it might have actually damaged the battery.

@dan, some reported that twisting the cord somehow fixed it temporarily (???). They are thinking the plug is the culprit.

This laptop will be donated soon so I want to fix whatever issue there is for the new owners.

Thanks all.

Old September 1, 2011, 12:39 PM
Banned
F@H

weird. that would imply a bad connection. or the like. you would experience greater issues though.
Old September 3, 2011, 12:22 AM
Allstar
F@H

UPDATE

I was using it last night and changed the brightness level and just started blinking, like adjusting the brightness on its own, while plugged in. It only happens when the charging light comes on so I thought what now? With the aftermarket battery installed it is charging but very slowly and blinking happens when cycling. I also noticed that charging the aftermarket battery takes a long time, with the laptop off.

So this morning I tried a couple of Linux distros and blinking still happens. I removed the battery, running just with the AC adapter, and the blinking went away. Old battery is actually almost dead, lasts 5 minutes. I guess there is something wrong with the circuitry inside since it still charges when not in use.