Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 31, 2011, 05:39 PM
Top Prospect

Default Laptop extremely slow after about 3-5 minutes

Looking at my friend's laptop right now. Running Windows 7, AMD Dual core 2.1GHz with 2gb ram. Pretty standard for most.

For some reason, his computer ends up going super slow after 5ish minutes. (Menus constantly not responding, opening ctrl+shift+esc takes like 2-3minutes, etc) Reboot, same thing happens.

The install of windows is fairly new, about 2 months old with maybe 20 hours of use on it. Pretty much no programs installed except for office, firefox and spybot S&D (which were installed within the first week he reinstalled windows) Problem started about a week ago.
Laptop does not get even warm before it slows down.
Task manager shows CPU and Memory below 20% whenever it happens.

Now my question is, is this very likely the HDD going bad? I haven't run a scan on it yet with the respective HDD utility, but my gut is that the HDD is bad.

Other than that, Any ideas what it could be?
Old August 31, 2011, 05:42 PM
Banned
F@H

could be anything, along with aggressive power saving modes.

drop a live cd and see what gives. then install said live cd on the hdd(after backing up your data) if nothing slows down

and then if still nothing happens and you cleaned winders before doing any of the above,fresh install.
Old September 1, 2011, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Could be overheating and going into limp mode. Core temp should be able to give you some feedback.
Old September 3, 2011, 10:57 AM
Rookie

I have had this happen with HDD failure on PCs/laptops... Run SMART testing and see if it comes out normal
Old September 12, 2011, 11:09 AM
Rookie

HDD is a good candidate, but also check for dust issues. Newer laptops now run heatpipes to enclosed heatinks (similiar to the ones that cool mobo VRM's) that are in the fan's flow path. More than once I've opened up a slow/glitchy laptop to find those clogged with dust, even those the fan exit on the bottom of the laptop seemed clear.