Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 30, 2011, 10:02 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default BFBC2 issue hardware software I am stumped

Motherboard: M4A78T-E
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3
Memory: 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws
Video Card: Sapphire Toxic Radeon HD 6950 1GB X2 crossfire
Hard Drive: Western Digital
640GB 7200 RPM
Power Supply:
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional x64

Monitors: ASUS 23.6” VH242H x 3 Eyefinity

Problem Battlefield 2 Bad Company Multiplayer randomly shuts down to windows with no error messages. It is such a random deal I have reduced graphics settings to see if that helps but have not really noticed a difference.

This problem started occurring when I added the eyefinity. (BFBC2 is supported and has gold rating) My graphic cards have the most up to date driver from ATI direct.

I thought it may be the processor so I overclocked a little on the processor and got it to (3.1something) All software done… by auto clocking AMD software. The multiplier is locked on a 945. I played uninterrupted for about 15 min and the system locked. Hard reboot required. I have since let it go back to stock 3.0

Side note on processor- I have Norton antivirus and it will give warnings that pop up during game play on high CPU usage. I have never seen this message as of yet. I can check the logs on the Norton system monitor but I am pretty sure it never maxes out.

My graphic cards are at 70 C range and all heat is vented out of case by both cards.

Different game but Cyrsis 2 and Dirt3 runs with no problems in eyefinity

No errors just ~ Game pause and program shuts to windows. I did try playing for awhile at a single monitor it seemed to be better. The problem is you have a hard time telling the difference from a Lag problem to the problem I am describing. Lag problem will not shut down to windows you get a server lost error message.

Any ideas ?? Settings to try?? Anyone else seeing this kind of thing

Thanks in advance

Old August 30, 2011, 01:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

In my experience BFBC2 does not like some on board audio....

A client had a USB converter for his headset, which essentially makes it a USB soundcard. With that plugged in he has no issues.

I had to plug in a soundblaster card to even play BFBC2 even after it played fine for months originally.
Old August 30, 2011, 11:37 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

"This problem started occurring when I added the eyefinity. (BFBC2 is supported and has gold rating) My graphic cards have the most up to date driver from ATI direct."

ok so you didn't have this problem before this ?

do you run wegame or fraps ?

i would suggest shutting down everything that you don't need

Old August 31, 2011, 12:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

yes onboard sound and bf2 has many issues

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old August 31, 2011, 07:36 AM
MVP

My System Specs

google "bfbc2 crash to desktop"
I fixed my issue by changing the refresh rate in the ini file, but I'm not running Eyefinity

Last edited by blaze_125; August 31, 2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old August 31, 2011, 08:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You cannot use realtek and play in a punkbuster server. It is punkbuster conflicting with realtek and that causes the lock up. If you use speakers and a headset you should buy a soundcard, if you use just a headset you could get a usb adapter or usb headset.

As for your crash to desktop, it is another issue with eyefinity and surround for BC2. You have to run the game settings in this order - Low-Low -HIGH - HIGH. The first 2 have to be at low to avoid crashing.
Old August 31, 2011, 09:24 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
You cannot use realtek and play in a punkbuster server. It is punkbuster conflicting with realtek and that causes the lock up. If you use speakers and a headset you should buy a soundcard, if you use just a headset you could get a usb adapter or usb headset.

As for your crash to desktop, it is another issue with eyefinity and surround for BC2. You have to run the game settings in this order - Low-Low -HIGH - HIGH. The first 2 have to be at low to avoid crashing.
I switched to LOW settings on graphics and I had no shutdowns. (last night played for 1 1/2 hour)

What are the other settings you are talking about (Low-Low -HIGH - HIGH)

I need to get a usb headset my system does some wacky (headset plugged in ~ head set unplugged spamming fest sometimes) prompts happen sometimes not always just sometimes its annoying.

Not sure on the realtek (specs on my board)

ASUS M4A78T-E 790GX AM3 Motherboard Review
Old August 31, 2011, 09:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well if you go to "advanced" settings for graphics. There will be 4 specific options which have the different options of low - medium and high. What works is having the first 2 on low and the last 2 on high. That way at least some things look decent.

Your audio chip is VIA, I didn't know it happened with anything other than realtek audio. With my computers on realtek it would hard lockup with this buzzing sound. In any case you can try playing in a non-pb server and see if it fixes it.
Old August 31, 2011, 10:27 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i have a realtek sound card (onboard) and have no issues with BF:BC2
Old September 1, 2011, 08:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Then you're very lucky, it is a very common problem.