Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 28, 2011, 06:12 PM
Rookie

Default Strange (high) temperature reading

I have a non-overclocked stock system that until recently behaved with reasonably quiet fan speeds.

Then things got loud, so I ran SpeedFan and "Temp1" (whatever that may be, it's not the core, since that has its own reading) is consistently high under just moderate system load.

I've attached an example of a MSI Kombustor test which illustrates a problem I see all the time with "Temp1" going above 65 degrees and the CPU fan going nuts. This happens sometimes with no apparent reason (some browser windows open and <50% cpu load).

What could be happening here?

postimage.org/image/r77yjs6c/full/
------------
Other info:

"Temp1" comes from the IT8721F chip according to SpeedFan.
Mobo Aspire M5400
Radeon HD 5750 seems to be okay with the Kombustor test, but the temperature does go pretty high (85 degrees currently 5 minutes into the Kombustor test). Could this be the problem maybe?
Old August 28, 2011, 06:23 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

using CPUID Hardware Monitor (go to CPUID website), I have a TMPINn, where n= 0, 1, and 2. Those three temps show up under the motherboard area. The n=1 one currently has a max value during the latest boot of 67C. I suspect that happened while I was playing Starcraft as the GPU got to the same temp.

I would download CPUID, and watch that, especially the max values.

My system:
i5 2500K
Radeon HD 6870
MSI P67A G43
Cooler Master HAF 912

My fans (2 case, 1 CPU in the stock cooler) are all 100% all the time, I find the noise to be not enough to care about reducing their speeds.

edit:
Why are there fans reading 0 RPM?
Old August 28, 2011, 06:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

temp1 always gives false readings, don't worry about it
Old August 28, 2011, 06:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal314 View Post
using CPUID Hardware Monitor (go to CPUID website), I have a TMPINn, where n= 0, 1, and 2. Those three temps show up under the motherboard area. The n=1 one currently has a max value during the latest boot of 67C. I suspect that happened while I was playing Starcraft as the GPU got to the same temp.

I would download CPUID, and watch that, especially the max values.

My system:
i5 2500K
Radeon HD 6870
MSI P67A G43
Cooler Master HAF 912

My fans (2 case, 1 CPU in the stock cooler) are all 100% all the time, I find the noise to be not enough to care about reducing their speeds.

edit:
Why are there fans reading 0 RPM?
Your on Intel he is on AMD.

I imagine that the fans showing 0rpm are simply headers without a fan attached.

I prefer Open Hardware Monitor - CPU Temperature, Fan Speed and Voltages in a Free Software Gadget to hwmon .

I have not used speedfan in years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old August 28, 2011, 06:42 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Your on Intel he is on AMD.

I imagine that the fans showing 0rpm are simply headers without a fan attached.

I prefer Open Hardware Monitor - CPU Temperature, Fan Speed and Voltages in a Free Software Gadget to hwmon .

I have not used speedfan in years.
Thanks for the response, but I find it difficult to understand how Temp1 could be simply "noise" or "negligible". Does it not refer to a sensor on the mobo?

Also, this doesn't explain my loud CPU fan. Why does it have such rampant cycles of quietness and loudness? Why, for example, does it sound like a room fan right now even though my cpu load is next to nothing (see image)?

EDIT: So I'm learning that when "Fan 1" (which I think is the cpu fan) goes from 2100 RPM to 2250 RPM (or higher), the loudness is significantly increased. Perhaps this is a problem with the fan bearing itself? Anyone experience this problem? Any other ideas?

Last edited by alexgm; August 28, 2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old August 28, 2011, 07:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Does that M5400 correspond to the computer in this video? (note I have no audio right now so I'm looking only at screens of the computer)
Desktop-PC: Acer Aspire M5400 | Computerwoche TV - YouTube

I can see a whole bunch of things about that particular computer that would lead to a high temperature and loud fans, in particular:
  • No sizeable mesh or open vent for a front intake
  • Is there even an intake fan???
  • Side venting is almost nonexistent with the side panel
  • No airflow to keep the top and front of the motherboard cool
  • Very restrictive hole at the back panel for exhaust, which looks like it's only 80mm

If that's actually the computer you're talking about, then I think it should rightfully run hot and loud because there's no way for it to get cool air into the case. What happens with a case like that with no intake is heat simply builds up from components idling. Temperatures build up to a threshold set in firmware or hardware, then all the fans ramp up until that temperature goes down below the threshold. This cost-cutting is typical of OEM PCs.

EDIT: Another thing (I don't want to get too far into nagging if you actually have a different case)... If this only started to happen >3 weeks after you started using the computer, then your problem is dust build-up inside the case. Get a canned air duster, open up the case, and blast out the PSU, fans, and any heat sinks.
Old August 28, 2011, 07:36 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Use Prime95 to load your CPU (torture test, small FFT), while watching the temperature readouts. Your cores will go up quickly and another temperature reading will climb more slowly, but after a few minutes will have the same difference as it was at idle to the cores. That's your Tcase, the temperature of the (basically) the integrated heat spreader of your processor. Motherboard temperatures very from board to board, not all have a sensor, some have multiple sensors, and some have them in odd places.

Loading the CPU only will also let you track fan behaviour. If it gets loud only under CPU load, then it's temperature related. If the fan is loud whenever it feels like, then the fan's utterly shot. That said, the fan might be shot and gets loud over a certain RPM too.

Dust is a distinct possibility, which might also explain why your GPU is reaching such high temperatures. Clean the case, retest. Take the side panel off, retest. Observe what happens with temperatures and fan noise.
Old August 29, 2011, 08:15 PM
Rookie

Default Could anyone recommend a good, simple to install, sink+fan for an AM3 socket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
Does that M5400 correspond to the computer in this video? (note I have no audio right now so I'm looking only at screens of the computer)
Desktop-PC: Acer Aspire M5400 | Computerwoche TV - YouTube

I can see a whole bunch of things about that particular computer that would lead to a high temperature and loud fans, in particular:
  • No sizeable mesh or open vent for a front intake
  • Is there even an intake fan???
  • Side venting is almost nonexistent with the side panel
  • No airflow to keep the top and front of the motherboard cool
  • Very restrictive hole at the back panel for exhaust, which looks like it's only 80mm

If that's actually the computer you're talking about, then I think it should rightfully run hot and loud because there's no way for it to get cool air into the case. What happens with a case like that with no intake is heat simply builds up from components idling. Temperatures build up to a threshold set in firmware or hardware, then all the fans ramp up until that temperature goes down below the threshold. This cost-cutting is typical of OEM PCs.

EDIT: Another thing (I don't want to get too far into nagging if you actually have a different case)... If this only started to happen >3 weeks after you started using the computer, then your problem is dust build-up inside the case. Get a canned air duster, open up the case, and blast out the PSU, fans, and any heat sinks.
That's the case!

Gagh! Terrible noise, even with the side cover off and the case on its side (so heat easily rises and escapes).

I'll try to dust everything out. Also I'd like to replace the CPU sink+fan.

Could anyone recommend a good, simple to install, and quiet sink+fan for an AM3 socket?
Old August 29, 2011, 08:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgm View Post
Could anyone recommend a good, simple to install, and quiet sink+fan for an AM3 socket?
Are you willing to take the motherboard out of the case? It's fairly easy to install pretty much any aftermarket cooler these days, but most brand name systems don't have a hole in the motherboard tray to install aftermarket coolers. So you're going to have to take out the motherboard and reassemble everything, which isn't hard, but it can be daunting if you have no experience with system building.

The only relatively quiet coolers that should fit in that case without having to reassemble the system are the low profile Scythe coolers.
Old August 29, 2011, 10:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
The only relatively quiet coolers that should fit in that case without having to reassemble the system are the low profile Scythe coolers.
What about the Austrian designed Noctua heatsinks:
1. NH-C12P SE14
or
2. NH-C14

Quiet and easy to install. Don't have to remove the motherboard, as it picks up on the existing AMD (CPU) backplace and threads right into the existing nuts.