F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyMellon View Post
What about the Austrian designed Noctua heatsinks:
1. NH-C12P SE14
or
2. NH-C14

Quiet and easy to install. Don't have to remove the motherboard, as it picks up on the existing AMD (CPU) backplace and threads right into the existing nuts.
They require that you unscrew the plastic bracket from the backplate. If the backplate isn't taped on, (not all of them are) it'll fall out when the OP unscrews it and defeat the purpose of not having to disassemble his system.

The Scythe coolers use pushpins for Intel and clip onto the plastic bracket for AMD, not the best way to mount a heatsink, but it doesn't require backplate access. Plus, they're a lot cheaper than Noctua alternatives and a lot less ugly.
Old August 29, 2011, 10:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have used the Zipang ilya and will confirm a completely painless install, not a bad cooler I guess but it is in a HTPC so IDK how well it would perform in a tower but it is reasonably quiet.

But it wouldnt be my first choice that is for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old August 30, 2011, 07:17 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
They require that you unscrew the plastic bracket from the backplate. If the backplate isn't taped on, (not all of them are) it'll fall out when the OP unscrews it and defeat the purpose of not having to disassemble his system.

The Scythe coolers use pushpins for Intel and clip onto the plastic bracket for AMD, not the best way to mount a heatsink, but it doesn't require backplate access. Plus, they're a lot cheaper than Noctua alternatives and a lot less ugly.
Thanks for the suggestions.

It seems to me that not taking the mobo out will mean a much smaller selection of lower quality cooling systems.

I've taken things apart many years ago and I don't imagine things have changed. That being said, what's a good budget (<$75) cooling system that will fit my system?

I shop at canadacomputers.com and tigerdirect.ca.

Thanks again!
Old August 30, 2011, 08:56 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgm View Post
Thanks for the suggestions.

It seems to me that not taking the mobo out will mean a much smaller selection of lower quality cooling systems.

I've taken things apart many years ago and I don't imagine things have changed. That being said, what's a good budget (<$75) cooling system that will fit my system?

I shop at canadacomputers.com and tigerdirect.ca.

Thanks again!
Well, since your case is very narrow (180mm wide), follow ilya's advice and go with any of the Scythe CPU coolers:

1. Scythe Big Shuriken (SCBSK-1000) 3 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler for Intel Socket 1366/775/478 & AMD Socket AM2/940/939/754 | Canada Computers
2. Scythe Kozuti CPU Three Heatpipe Low Profile CPU Cooler for Intel Socket 775/1155/1156/1366 & AMD Socket | Canada Computers
3. Scythe Shuriken Rev. B (SCSK1100) 3 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler for Intel Socket 1366/775/478 & AMD Socket AM2/940/939/754 | Canada Computers

Plus they are a lot cheaper then anything else out there.
Old September 2, 2011, 07:08 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll get the Scythe Big Shuriken.

I also want to put in a side fan (low rpm/large diameter) for cool air intake. However, for the life of me I can't find the pins on the motherboard for an extra fan. Any help?! See above for the mobo type.
Old September 2, 2011, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

I also want to put in a side fan (low rpm/large diameter) for cool air intake. However, for the life of me I can't find the pins on the motherboard for an extra fan. Any help?! See above for the mobo type.
If you don't see it and it's not being covered by something like a graphics card, chances are it doesn't have any extra fan headers. Just use a molex to 3pin adapter, they're often included with retail case fans.
Old September 2, 2011, 01:34 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Arrow fan header pins

Quote:

Based on the Acer Aspier M5400 Servic Guide (presuming its the correct SG) then you should have (2) fan headers, where one is the CPU fan header right above the CPU AMD bracket (top right-hand quadrant), while the second header should be straight down at the bottom of the motherboard along the bottom of the board - basically in line with the top fan header. The manual shows the second header besides a yellow-ish USB (front USB panel header). If your system came with a Service Manual (or you are able to down load the manual from the above link) the you can find the connector information on page 61-62.

If you do not see it there then go with ilya's advice and use the 4-pin molex to 3-pin adapter that is normally included with after-market fans - so you should not have to buy one.
Old September 3, 2011, 10:55 AM
Rookie

Compare your CPU diode with your motherboard socket diode... if one of them is wildly off it could be a glitch in the diode. I have seen a lot of motherboard diodes that suddenly shoot up to 100C or some other temperature and then fall back down quickly