Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 27, 2011, 12:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Computers constantly freezing. Everywhere

well I'm leaning towards the fact that this is a bios problem but I'm not entirely sure, could still very well be ram. I figured a while ago to finally get around to updating my bios, had never really made any changes to it, more than enough power without any need to overclock. Now when I did Asus expressgate froze so I disabled that and had no problems getting into windows and once I was in windows I generally had no problems.

as time went on there were a few problems I discovered. Hibernation would not recover, computer sometimes froze after long periods of inactivity. Worked around those. More recently I've been getting much more frequent freezes at startup. Had one period of trying to turn on my computer when all I would get to is the welcome screen (the windows screen that says welcome and has a circle and nothing else). Managed to get past that by doing something in safe mode (which worked right away). Right now however if I get into windows it freezes shortly after the desktop has finished loading but programs like steam have not. Initially I was leaning towards this being a failing Hard drive or ram but then I went into the bios and it froze on me as well.

Now considering everything what working as smooth as butter before I updated the bios I'm thinking that would be the cause. I'm trying to run a ubuntu live USB to try to see if it loads as it will tell me that the Hard drive the the cause, need to dust off my netbook to get a USB with memtest on it but is it possible that the bios could be causing all this trouble, or am I barking up the wrong tree? Think it just froze on my trying to launch ubuntu.

SPECS.
p6x58d-e Asus motherboard.
i7 something or other
6 gigs or ddr3
multiple hard drives with lots of storage
4890 graphics
Old August 27, 2011, 12:54 AM
Banned
F@H

it can be anything, and will be anything till you swap parts left and right

freeze on ubuntu is probably ram related. that or mobo,or cpu is going. but probably ram

save your cpu fan is banged, or the hs is falling off(lost contact)
Old August 27, 2011, 03:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

well what ever it is its deteriorated to the point where I can't run tests anymore, computer is now consistently freezing within 1 minute of being turned on, I tried taking out ram and trying them one at a time in memtest but it froze no matter what. Sadly that doesnt tell me that the ram is at fault.

I'll reset the heatsink and cpu, give them some fresh thermal paste.

I sadly I dont have another pc to test this stuff on or any parts to exchange. Currently using a tablet to type this on. Does ncix still charge that restocking fee on returned parts?

strangely enough safemode seems to work all right still. With. I hate computers. Love them when they work but god kill them when they don't.

Last edited by muse108dc; August 27, 2011 at 03:32 AM.
Old August 27, 2011, 03:39 AM
MVP

My System Specs

SSD involved?
Old August 27, 2011, 03:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

no, all traditional hdds in my desktop still

I'm fairly sure that the hdd is not involved, not with the freezing happening in bios and remotest.

edit: titles miss leading. I can get it into safe mode and that doesn't freeze. Though seems I cant have Ethernet plugged into it to get into safe mode avec networking. Ran p95 for a while, seemed to be fine, will run it for longer a bit later. I robot understand this problem at all. Why would it consistently freeze inthe bios, the welcome screen and or logo for windows but not safe mode?

I dunno, mother board is seeming the problem to me as I don't crash under stress or while using the pc. Gah, hair pulling time.

Last edited by muse108dc; August 27, 2011 at 05:28 AM.
Old August 27, 2011, 05:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just in case some peripheral has gone bad, strip that rig of yours down to the bare minimum it needs to boot (CPU + cooler + mobo + 1 stick of RAM + GPU if you need it to attach to a monitor, lying outside of the case ; PSU can stay in the case).
After doing that, clear CMOS and retest. That should eliminate peripherals, something up with the current state of your BIOS, and your motherboard somehow shorting in the case. I know the last one is a little extreme to take it out of the case, but after I accidentally left a stapler in my computer case...

If the freezing still occurs, then you'll have to start part-swapping
Old August 27, 2011, 05:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

a bad driver wouldn't freeze the bios would it? Uninstalling and reinstalling windows wouldn't help?

already removed the peripherals just cpu,gpu, ram and arrives (will remove all but the c HDD soon aswell). Will completely remove everything including mobo after that to check for shorts.

Edit: Prime95 is have 0 problems this is getting rediculous.

Last edited by muse108dc; August 27, 2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old August 27, 2011, 06:47 PM
Rookie

If Prime95 is clean for a couple hours it's safe to say your CPU and heatsink are fine. Most likely the RAM is fine too, but with 6GB I doubt that it all got accessed when running Prime 95.
Maybe you want to give memtest86 a go (included on the Ubuntu CD. When you see the keyboard icon at the bottom when it's starting up, kit any key and find memtest in the menu after the language selection).

If memtest comes out clean after a few hours pounding the memory, I would try changing the videocard. It may not explain the BIOS freezes, but it's worth a shot.

Sorry for not having a more precise answer, but that BIOS freezes mess up all my theories.
Old August 27, 2011, 07:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpieTM View Post
Sorry for not having a more precise answer, but that BIOS freezes mess up all my theories.
yeah, mine too, driving me crazy. Just finished taking computer completely apart and now get to rebuild it. Yay......

really do envy all you guys out there with test benches and multiple machines, just doesn't fit in my budget.
Old August 27, 2011, 08:52 PM
Banned
F@H

just do it on thine tablu maite.

if all goes well leave it running like that for a few days,if not rma the mobo first if

a kind soul cant help you swap it.