Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 27, 2011, 10:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

going to try to see if I can get a RMA started tomorrow.

----Ignore this rambling-------------

I cant be without a system for that long though, I'll go crazy..... I do so much on it, and guess what, September is rearing its head now too...... Stuck with a netbook and a tablet.......

Might have to see if I can get my last system ticking with spare parts, did want to turn that into a server anyways.
Old August 27, 2011, 10:53 PM
Banned
F@H

last time i had to rma one of me puters mobo was about this time,well not this time but close to some kind of release..

so before i got it ba i got a downpayment ,went to store,bought the same thing but brand new,then let it go.

and then when it came back posted it fs as well. and made something else with the new parts coming in a few weeks later.

could be some waiting,or a 'cheap' 2500k build,or perhaps not.
Old August 28, 2011, 01:56 AM
Top Prospect

2 suggestions, downgrading bios, and trying a different graphics card, even a low end one.
Old August 28, 2011, 02:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

I installed the one from the disk that came with the mobo so its possible to downgrade more than that. I'm fairly certain that the gpu is fine but don't have another gpu anyways.

if ncix still charges that 15% restocking fee it would cost me somewhere around 30 dollars to test it like for like, wondering if that's worthwhile, or maybe just grab a lower end x58 board. Does ncix do any diagnostic services?
Old August 28, 2011, 05:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI3 View Post
2 suggestions, downgrading bios, and trying a different graphics card, even a low end one.
yip change out the GPU and make sure got current INTEL drivers for RST
Old August 28, 2011, 08:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

dont have a RAID setup and i know the GPU is fine.

Well, after all day yesterday not even being able to get into safe mode I was able to get into windows full on today. Installed some temp stuff (core temp and ausus probe) and temps seem fine for the most part. CPU is at 35-40 at idle, mobo is at 42.

Voltages are
Vcore: .94V
+3.3V: 3.28
+5V:5.02
+12V: 12.08

Going to try to update the bios again to a more recent one. Bit nervous to turn off computer now

edit: and we're back to windows not launching. Made the mistake of trying to transfer files to an external drive and windows froze on me. Interestingly windows every time it tries to start up now it wants to run a chkdsk, goes through that and then at the end freezes.

Last edited by muse108dc; August 28, 2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old August 29, 2011, 03:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

Note: when system freezes, it can't write cache back to disk then crashed, also this will corrupt HDD

this why your gertting chkdsk.

remove HDD and install in a working machine to get your DATA off then format the drive,

update bios with boot able USB stick with current bios for your MB

get current drivers on USB stick for chipset, sound, video that are F6 to install an WHQ

install windows
Old August 31, 2011, 12:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

I think I've actually got it fixed, though asus expressgate still doesnt enjoy starting. I ran http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and found one that said it fixed corrupted bioses. Ran it and windows is now booting again and have had no freezing since then. Though, midly still concerned with the expressgate freezing but its disabled now and with some luck I will successfully update the bios and this will all be solved.
Old August 31, 2011, 07:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

spoke too soon. Freezing again :'(
Old September 9, 2011, 03:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

you really do have to love tech support. Did you remove the cmos battery? ok? nothing? ok i will process your rma now.