Old August 20, 2011, 09:45 AM
Rookie

Default UPS Power ISSUES and Keyboard not Active in BIOS

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF X EATX TOWER CASE
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE === BIOS v0706
Processor: INTEL CORE I7-2600K
Heatsink: NOCTUA NH-D14
Memory: G.SKILL RIPJAWS 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-1600
Video Cards: ASUS GeForce GTX 580 Rog Matrix === BIOS v70.10.17.00.00 / Driver 8.12.17.8026
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 240GB === Fireware 2.06
HD: WESTERN DIGITAL 2TB CAVIAR GREEN
DVD: LITEON IHBS112 12X BLU-RAY WRITER
Power Supply: CORSAIR 1200AX PROFESSIONAL GOLD SERIES
OS: Windows 7 64bit Professional OEM === SP1 and All Windows Updates
UPS: APC Back-UPS 500 CS (500W)

ISSUE 1
I've been having problems with my UPS, as it blinks a red overload light when system is at load. Its fine most of the time, but when the GPU gets a workout it starts blinking. The UPS also has a red light in back that tells me my building wiring is faulty. Its wasn't a problem with my old PC as it used less power, but this new PC obviously uses more.

Away I'm going to get the Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD 1500VA 900W PFC UPS AVR GreenPower LCD Pure Sine Wave Output Serial USB

Hopefully that should fix the issue. Has anyone got any suggestions about what I can do about faulty wiring? Should I just call an electrician?

ISSUE 2
My keyboard doesn't work when at the ASUS motherboard splash screen, so I can't get into the BIOS. This is a known issue with this motherboard, but the newest BIOS which I flashed should've fixed the issue. I've tested 2 keyboards, and both don't work. Luckily my gamepad and mouse have enough buttons between them that work, so I can make basic adjustments.

Does anyone know what Keyboards do work with this motherboards current BIOS? Looking for a gaming keyboard.
Old August 20, 2011, 09:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

A simple ps2 keyboard doesnt work?
I have had a few boards that get picky with usb keyboards entering bios but switching in a ps2 works always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old August 20, 2011, 10:33 AM
Rookie

Only one of my keyboards uses ps2 interface and even that doesn't work.

QUESTION
What programs can I use to see how much power my PC uses?
Old August 20, 2011, 11:00 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Topo View Post

QUESTION
It isn't a program, but rather a tool called a kill-a-watt, you shouldn't spend more than $30 total.

HWMonitor lists power, but I am unsure if it is accurate.
Old August 20, 2011, 11:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Topo View Post

QUESTION
If you want to know what it is pulling from the outlet you need a Kill-a-watt or similar device to get a accurate reading, other wise just add up the components but that will be not so accurate.

HWMon only gives you the cpu's draw AFAIK ( and that is based on the multi more than anything. It show no increase when you overclock so IDK how much to trust it), unless I need to update my hwmon.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old August 20, 2011, 11:30 AM
Rookie

K, I'll buy a Kill-a-Watt with my new UPS.
Old August 20, 2011, 12:13 PM
Banned
F@H

try another plug till it gives you both green(or whatever ligh cvolors you got there) for proper power coming from the wall

till then DO NOT USE IT. i had a couple pcs come in from frends due to that. fried the ups too after a while on one of them.

and when you see the overload light oging on? you know youre pushing it(aka itll go faster)

kill a watt's a re great. some may also tell you to get a blue planet from c. tire.

plug it in, and hit the watts button as it will display something else everytime you plug it in.

its accurate past twice your load,at least. ive measured my ac which goes over a thousand watts.
Old August 20, 2011, 03:13 PM
Rookie

Thanks, I'll check out that blue planet meter. I also place my order for the UPS I suggested above.

I'll try another outlet, but I don't have many. What happens if I connect 2 surge protectors?

Anything I can do in Windows or ASUS AI SUIT II?

Last edited by El Topo; August 20, 2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old August 20, 2011, 03:53 PM
Banned
F@H

you dont.

use one. unless you mean daisy chaining. thats fine as long as you dont go overboard on the one connector. which your pc and what not can fit in such a category :D
Old August 20, 2011, 07:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Topo
UPS: APC Back-UPS 500 CS (500W)

ISSUE 1
I've been having problems with my UPS, as it blinks a red overload light when system is at load. Its fine most of the time, but when the GPU gets a workout it starts blinking. The UPS also has a red light in back that tells me my building wiring is faulty. Its wasn't a problem with my old PC as it used less power, but this new PC obviously uses more.

Hopefully that should fix the issue. Has anyone got any suggestions about what I can do about faulty wiring? Should I just call an electrician?
use a shocket tester to check polarity of wall outlet

if test OK stop using UPS unit and have it repaired

other for blinking light is UPS overloaded or weak battery warning