Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 19, 2011, 06:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you think you have defective memory, then give MemtestCL a try: Folding@home - DownloadUtils
It should detect your GPU as it worked on my older Radeon 4870. You can give the program command line arguments to test MORE than the 737 MB of RAM that those other programs pretend your GPU has. Note I wouldn't try testing all the memory as you may trip a bug and have GUI lag if the that GPU is driving a monitor.

DxDiag and DxDiag64 added in some system memory and report my GTX 550 Ti has ~4 GB of memory
Old August 28, 2011, 04:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I think I figured this out, I'll post what I think is going on to help others that may have this problem.

BTW: In addition to dxdiag Blizzard's beta opt-in system spec program (I'm hoping for Diablo III ) appears to have the same problem reading my video memory.

In any case: CPUID's PC Wizard 2010 (downloaded from the CPUID website) told me that I have 1024 MB of video memory on my Radeon HD 6870, and 737 MB of texture memory. Given that this matches the numbers from Blizzard's thing and dxdiag I suspect that the programs that are reporting that my card has 737 MB of video ram are in fact reading the texture memory size.

Next question: what is texture memory?

< best guess >
No website that I found gives a nice clear and simple description. But, from the myriad of sites checked out I think I can safely say the following: Texture memory is a portion of the available memory set aside specifically for rendering textures. Depending on how a system or program works, it appears this can be on the video RAM (best) system RAM (ok) or even on the hard drive (crappy). As such, you can safely ignore the number if you are not an advanced user, or some significant problems. I found many references to texture memory from Witcher 2. I suspect that in the video options of that game it is possible to change the amount of texture memory that the game tries to allocate and use.

I would have thought though that the amount of texture memory would be different depending on what is running, and what is being used, and so giving a reading at one instant would be about as useful as the volume of free space on the hard drive. (Interesting to the user perhaps, but not really a system spec per se.)
< /best guess >
Old August 28, 2011, 08:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm for a separate bank of memory, 737 MB is a strange number given that memory is normally grouped into batches that are sized of powers of two (2, 4, 8 ... 128, 256 ...) because that's how the hardware is built and it's easier to work when the low and high numbers in hex look nice. The closest thing I can think of is 768-32=736 then add 1 because of some weirdness like a lookup table or badly-implemented maths.
Interesting explanation though...