Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 18, 2011, 05:19 AM
HWC YouTube Reviewer

My System Specs

Exclamation [SOLVED] A Disk Read Error Occured (CTRL + ALT + DEL) to restart

Ok, so i ended up reading some of this on Gigabyte forums, and apparently OCZ drives have issues with Giga boards. One guy suggested to use the Sata ports for the drives on the Sata 3 ports on the mobo as it worked for him, and guess what, no error booted in Win7 just fine while in AHCI. I am experiencing loss in speed of about 5-15% thou, so that sucks, but after all its working and im happy. The reasoning behind the USBs not working, not sure what happened there. They are working now. Just in case i updated all of the mobo drivers. The only drawback is that it now takes twice the time to boot in windows, not sure if i should return the board and get EVGA board or some other, NOT gigabyte.

Original MSG

Hey everyone.

In advance, want to thank for any help/advice you provide.

So all of a sudden, i start up my regular morning routine with the push of a power button and get: A Disk read error occured, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

My boot drive is OCZ Ver 2 60GB, and just the night before everything was working fine.

The drive is set to AHCI and in Bios it sees all of the drives and so i reconnected all of the cables for the drive, still the same error. I also have a Hitachi 1tb just for storage.

Strangely enough, when i set the drive to IDE instead, it manages to boot into windows 7, two of my USB ports aren't working and whenever i restart, well the very welcomed BSOD shows up. I also get no beep whenever it boots. why?

About a week ago i was having issues with the BSOD whenever i ran anything CPU intensive, so after days of troubleshooting, i narrowed it down to the MOBO, which i replaced to Gigabyte UD5. Booted like a charm, ran stability tests for Ram and CPU and just in case the GPU to test everything is working fine. No errors, rock solid.

Now this happens, so i want to say that the drive is at fault here or something else rather, parhaps the mobo went sour or the PSU. I will put in a new PSU just to double check everything gets stable power. But can anyone tell me why i boot into windows when in IDE but not in AHCI all of a sudden? Does that seem like a mobo issue? Just a side note, i also noticed a strange smell coming from inside the computer, though i was going crazy for a little bit but it never smelled like that, kind of like the electrical burn out if you know what i mean. My mobo temps are fine, at 44C.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Dmitry; August 18, 2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old August 18, 2011, 08:27 AM
Banned
F@H

edited:wrong thread.

take it apart asap and check the mobo etc for discoloration,burnt marks,etc
Old August 18, 2011, 08:42 AM
HWC YouTube Reviewer

My System Specs

The wierd thing is, i am in Win7 right now in an IDE mode. Everything is working fine. i ran p95 and other stability tests. no errors. When i reboot or shutdown, i get BSOD right after it enters the blue good bye image.

Also only two USB 3.0 ports are working at the back, and the rest it seems like it gives off power but the USB device itself is not working.

Looks like my UD5 had a short of some sort, and i guess that had an impact on the component that controls the AHCI or IDE.

Going to be returning the mobo.
Old August 18, 2011, 08:48 AM
Banned
F@H

ok but check your case,was there an extra standoff?

do you have an ups? something dirty down the line might've not only shocked the psu,but the rest of the attached components/devices too
Old August 18, 2011, 08:55 AM
HWC YouTube Reviewer

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
ok but check your case,was there an extra standoff?

do you have an ups? something dirty down the line might've not only shocked the psu,but the rest of the attached components/devices too
I am pretty careaful with all of the short out possibilities, so when i put the rig together, i double check for extra standoffs, make sure the mobo isnt touching the case anywhere, so i dont know if my PSU had some kind of a burst and caused the mobo to go, or it was the mobo itself. you never know with these things.

Gigabyte UD5 is suppose to have high end components that can withstand OCing and w/e, and considering i was doing only slight OC on my CPU, and really careful with my voltages, i dont think it would be the PSU then.

Yesterday everything was working fine, i was video editing, and many more things in AHCI mode, and all of a sudden Disk read error. AGGHHHH!!! Im not having luck with Gigabyte, as my first purchase was the USB3 mobo, which didnt boot and now this, only after a week of use. Crap!

Tags
disk read error , ocz vertex 2