Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 7, 2011, 01:42 PM
Rookie

Default Computer not booting

Hi
I recently built my first computer and have had in running for 2-3 weeks with absolutly no problems what so ever. I had beenr running it for about 2 hours when i turned it off to eat tea, when i returned it would not turn on. I presumed the power switch connection had com loose on the mb as it had before, however on opening it up everything was correctly connected. The motherboard power light comes on however when attempting to turn it on all which happens is the fans spins for a fraction of a second and then turn off. Unfortunatly this was the point that i discovered that i didnt have a speaker for the mb, I dont know if this is supposed to come with the case but it didnt come with the antec 300 I bought. After taking out all the components bar the mb the result was still the same. It was at this point i noticed a very small high pitched whine from the psu, not sure if this matters. After googling I found corsairs youtube video on testing for a faulty psu using a paper clip to spoof the motherboard. I had one fan plugged into a four pin molex to provide a load and when flicking the switch to turn it on both the psu fan and the extra fan plugged in spin for a tiny fraction of a second and then stop. Does this mean that the psu is faulty or that maybe i dont have enough load on the psu? Or does this mean the psu isn't the faulty part? Possibly on a side not should i buy a system speaker off amazon?

System:
i5 2500
4gb corsair 1333mhz ram
600w CX V2 corsair PSU
Asus p8p67 LE b3 revision motherboard
9800gt Graphics card
WD 1tb intelli spin

Everything is still under both manufactures warrenty and 'scan.co.uk' accidental installation damage.

Many thanks
John
Old August 7, 2011, 01:57 PM
Banned
F@H

it could be. some units wont properly run without being connected to a pc or proper testing equipment.

buy a 10-20 dollar psu tester,not much but better than nothing

or borrow a psu

or swap ram sticks/slots around

reseat cpu

i didnt get the loose connector part though? that could cause a short.....

and welcome aboard
Old August 7, 2011, 02:31 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the welcome and the fast reply, ignore the connection bit its not relavant and was just me geting carried away in writing the post. I'll try connecting it up with cd drive to provide a bit more of a load and let you know how it goes. Unfortunalty I dont know anyone capable of lending me a psu and the other two i have only have 4 pin plug for the mb but i need 8. Tommorow I'll try starting it with a range of different combinations. If i take the cpu cooler off the cpu do i need to reapply thermal paste? I ask this because i dont have any as it came pre applied to the cooler. Just looked and my psu 8 pin mb cable can be split into four so will do that and test it on a different computer. Was really pleased that I'd got my first computer to work and i thought i had choosen good quality components, for more experienced builders do you think i've just been unlucky or do you occasionally get these kinds of problems with your builds?
Old August 7, 2011, 02:35 PM
Banned
F@H

you could at least boot with a lower end psu,as long as you dont put a load on it,or maybe use a smaller(weaker=better on the juice) video card?

the i5 with onboard(no go since you have a p67 mobo) eats maybe 150 watts at the wall. under 100 on idle..so a 300 watt could be ok for booting up

at least :)
Old August 7, 2011, 02:50 PM
Rookie

Thanks but the other psus i have only have a 4pin (I think its what you would call 12V) cable which plugs into the mb along with the 24pin plug, sorry for the vagueness. I'll try the suspected faulty psu on a different system tommrorow to see if it works and then depending on the results will contact corsair for a return. Will keep you posted on any developments though
Old August 8, 2011, 04:57 AM
Rookie

Just an quick update, checked psu on a different computer and that had exatcly the same problem. Courier is coming tommorow to collect it for return. What do you think the chances are that the motherboard might have been damaged by the psu going?
Old August 8, 2011, 06:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

if thats the case so would the MB be DOA you tested on, looks just the PSU is the issue

Note don't mix PCI-e power with MB power. check the polarity before plugging in
Old August 8, 2011, 07:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would bet little to none.

My experience is when a good PSU dies, it turns itself off like it should. From what you describe I think one of the rails blew on the PSU and was giving out nothing for voltage on that rail.
Old August 8, 2011, 10:20 AM
Banned
F@H

short term? could be.

long term? depends on what it sent to the components in the final moment(s)