Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 7, 2011, 03:33 AM
Rookie

Default Computer upgrade gone bad - Bad Bios Checksum

Since NCIX is closed till Monday, thought I'd ask around before I start making calls and RMAs.

First off, thanks again everyone for the advice on my semi-new build! Long story short, my PSU fried my motherboard a few weeks ago, so I decided to build a new computer but keep a few old parts. Here's what I went with:

NEW: AMD X3 450, Asus M4A78LT-M LE, 4gb Mushkin Silverline ram, Apex TX-381 case
OLD: WD 250gb sata harddrive, two pata DVD writers, Windows 7 32bit

One of the main reasons I kept the computer simple was that this was my very first build, I had no clue what I was doing and watched a ton of videos. I think I did get it mostly right, as the computer did boot fine . .

. . but then I kept getting this error on start-up:
"Boot Block . . Bad Bios Checksum. Starting Bios recovery . ."

I put the driver DVD in, it erased, reprogrammed the bios, I restarted and happened again. Randomly, I'll get the splash screen, where I'd load and save default and also managed to update the bios but same thing.

Sometimes, I do get the Windows booting screen, but it'll either reset after a few seconds or it'll start repairing itself, quickly leading to a BSOD or a "StartRep.exe Application Error. The instruction at 0x75 . . referenced memory at 0x04 . . The memory could not be read."

Of course, I googled everyone for a solution, but doesn't seem to be much consensus. Some say it may be a PSU issue . . I'm currently using the one that came with the case (300W), will be getting a quality 550W one in a few days. But Power Supply Calculator said I'm only using around 250W at max. Hmm . .
Old August 7, 2011, 07:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Boot Block . . Bad Bios Checksum. Starting Bios recovery
sounds if primary bios not keeping data or wrong flashed bios for your MB

video
get a usb stick formatted fat 16/32 and self booting (hp app) copy unzipped files Afudos and bios on mem stick

then set bios to boot from USB when get to dos screen Type

"afudos [filename] /P /B /N /C /E /K /Q /REBOOT"

filename = M4A78LT-M-LE-ASUS-0801.ROM (may hve to ReName file to 6 charactors eg. 0801.ROM)

Afudos BIOS update tool V2.41 zip

Version 0801 BIOS for M4A78LT-M LE zip
1.Improve memory stability.
2.Improve sysetm stability.
3.Improve USB OC function
Old August 7, 2011, 07:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
sounds if primary bios not keeping data or wrong flashed bios for your MB

video
get a usb stick formatted fat 16/32 and self booting (hp app) copy unzipped files Afudos and bios on mem stick

then set bios to boot from USB when get to dos screen Type

"afudos [filename] /P /B /N /C /E /K /Q /REBOOT"

filename = M4A78LT-M-LE-ASUS-0801.ROM (may hve to ReName file to 6 charactors eg. 0801.ROM)

Afudos BIOS update tool V2.41 zip

Version 0801 BIOS for M4A78LT-M LE zip
1.Improve memory stability.
2.Improve sysetm stability.
3.Improve USB OC function
This is definately where you should start... if this doesnt work start RMA's
Old August 7, 2011, 09:51 AM
Banned
F@H

yank ram sticks out one at a time,change slots before you continue

playing with the bios. do this while computer is assembled on your table

and not in the case with bare minimum attached :)
Old August 7, 2011, 12:54 PM
Rookie

Thanks, I did manage to upgrade to the latest bios by putting it on the USB key. Confirmed it was the latest, but still had the same problem. I notice several reviewers on Newegg had similar problems, I'm starting to wonder if I should've spent $30 more for a better motherboard . . it was the one I researched least and just heard Asus was the best and chose the lowest priced one that still supports PATA. Now I notice Gigabyte's actually the one at the top of the list . .

BUT I just started a memtest, and the number of errors is up to 3429 after a few minutes. It's been an hour now, think the counter has stopped. But I wonder if it's really a bad motherboard, or bad RAM . . or both? (EDIT: Should not that there are zero "ECC errs" if that makes a difference)

(EDIT 2: Wow, now up to 4864 after 1h15!)

Anyway, as dangtx suggested, I'll try removing and switching rams next once this memtest is done.

Last edited by murphyslaw; August 7, 2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old August 7, 2011, 04:00 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Test all sticks in different slots using Memtest. If there is a single error, it is no good. If you find a combination that shows no errors, then try to boot.
Old August 7, 2011, 04:24 PM
Rookie

Thanks, well here's a follow-up w/ memtest:

- With both sticks, the errors added up to ALMOST ONE MILLION! Are you serious, Mushkin??
- I took out one stick (#1), but kept getting the same "Bios Checksum" error boot-up on the other stick (#2)

- So I took out that stick, put in the other. Windows booted and checked for errors. It went a bit longer this time, but still stalled at the end: "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically"
- I ran memtest on this stick (#1) and no errors were found.
- I ran memtest again on this stick (#1) in the other slot. No errors were found.
- I now tried to boot up with just this stick . . Windows went to splashscreen, but then rebooted after 5 seconds. Same thing over and over.

- Now I ran memtest with just the other stick (#2) and it wouldn't even load memtest. Got stuck on "Bios Checksum" bootup
- I ran memtest on the other stick (#2) on the other slot, still got stuck.
- I put back error-free stick (#1) and system now boots, but still resets at splashscreen.

So it's strange, looks like one stick is bad. But good stick still won't boot the computer. So could it be that both RAM and motherboard are messed up?
Old August 7, 2011, 05:25 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Stick the ram with no errors in the motherboard, power On and go directly to BIOS; select "Load Fail safe", and make sure the ram voltage is correct per your stick manufacturer. Restart. If it loads fine, then it's the bad stick. If it fails to load, then the board is toast. Yes, both can fail.

Also, when running Memtest: 1 error, or a million makes no difference. Only 0 is acceptable.
Old August 7, 2011, 08:33 PM
Banned
F@H

put the speed manually to 1066,or 800 something, and voltage to 1.5,unless it needs 1.65.which is no good on sandy,she dont like it much

edit : forget the sandy comment. youre on amd. those are fine with any ram vltages,stock.
Old August 8, 2011, 04:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's possible that your windows is now screw due to all the reboot and crashes while starting. You might need to re-install it.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||