Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 2, 2011, 09:39 AM
Rookie

Exclamation Video Signal Loss

Hello everyone

I am currently experiencing some issues with video signal loss.

Here is my system

Intel Core i7 2600k CPU
Maximus IV Extreme-Z Motherboard
EVGA GTX 580 Hydro Copper 2 FTW Edition (3gb)
ASUS Xonar Xense Sound Card
(Soon to be a Galaxy GTX 460 Razor Edition for PhysX)
12gb Mushkin Ridgeline DDR3 RAM

Koolance 3K3U Copper Watercooling Unit

Dell UltraSharp 27'' U2711 Monitor 1570x2560 (Portrait Mode)
Resolution 4710x2560

The problem I am experiencing is that at any given time, watching video or playing video games, I may experience complete signal loss across all 3 video cards and monitors, where I will lose all video signal and my monitors will start searching among its inputs but will not get anything unless I reboot again.

My CPU and each of the video cards is actively cooled by the Koolance 3K3U and the temperatures range between between 25 Celsius idle and under 50 Celsius under full load.

Can anyone please help? I am at a total loss.

Thank you!

Last edited by Zodiak; August 2, 2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old August 2, 2011, 10:25 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Try disabling SLI and see if the issue persists.
Old August 2, 2011, 10:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Could be a driver issue, though what is your power supply?
Old August 2, 2011, 10:47 AM
Rookie

Oops... I was sure I included my PSU in there. It is the:

OCZ ZX 1250W
OCZ ZX Series 1250W Power Supply - OCZ

and I am using the latest

275.33 drivers from NVIDIA
NVIDIA DRIVERS 275.33 WHQL
Old August 2, 2011, 10:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Were you getting this issue on previous driver versions or did this just begin to happen?
Old August 2, 2011, 11:02 AM
Rookie

I am knowledgeable with computer hardware and had put some together before. This one I had made for me because I have little to no knowledge of water cooling.

I am searching for the solution myself as the person who built the system for me is not always available when I need him.

To answer your question, the system came pre-installed with 275.33 drivers. The problem isn't necessarily linked to the video cards, it could be the motherboard, video cards, sound card or even monitor. That is the biggest problem I am experiencing right now.

As it stands, DVI 1 of each monitor is connected to the first DVI connector of each of the 3 video cards using Dual Link DVI cables because of the higher resolution.

All of the PCI slots are taken up but the entire system temps have been staying bellow 50 Celsius under heavy loads.

I had the same problem when I was using just 1 monitor. I only assembled my 3x monitor setup recently.
Old August 2, 2011, 01:38 PM
Banned
F@H

get a blue planet from c tire or a kill a watt and see what you are pulling at the wall.

get only one card going at a time,and see again.

like you said it could be anything.

in some instances,extreme yes,youll be pushing 300 or more watts per video card.

also check ALL your temps,motherboard temps as well with aida64. could be some chippie or the south bridge or anything going past its

'preferred' operating temperature
Old August 2, 2011, 03:14 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiak View Post
I am knowledgeable with computer hardware and had put some together before. This one I had made for me because I have little to no knowledge of water cooling.

I am searching for the solution myself as the person who built the system for me is not always available when I need him.

To answer your question, the system came pre-installed with 275.33 drivers. The problem isn't necessarily linked to the video cards, it could be the motherboard, video cards, sound card or even monitor. That is the biggest problem I am experiencing right now.

As it stands, DVI 1 of each monitor is connected to the first DVI connector of each of the 3 video cards using Dual Link DVI cables because of the higher resolution.

All of the PCI slots are taken up but the entire system temps have been staying bellow 50 Celsius under heavy loads.

I had the same problem when I was using just 1 monitor. I only assembled my 3x monitor setup recently.
key note in my opinion, i am leaning towards drivers first off, would do a ccleaner and reinstall the latest in nvidia drivers, your psu is plenty strong to run those cards i believe, might not hurt to check out the motherboard drivers as well, could be an update, after that, i would look at what your pulling from the wall, with that system plus 3 24" monitors, you could be stressing your wall socket too much (yes i know it should blow a breaker, but have seen more strange things!)
Old August 2, 2011, 06:54 PM
Rookie

Ok I reinstalled the video drivers. I have tried disabling SLI for a while but doing so switches my display back in landscape mode, which appears sideways and makes it hard to use lol.

Why CCleaner though? Doesnt that simply remove temp files and such?
Old August 2, 2011, 07:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

Hrm.

Sounds like an intermittent cable to me.