Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 30, 2011, 11:54 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default audio issues!

hey everyone,

just installed new hardware mobo/cpu (asus p8z68-v / i2500k), and reformatted my drive for a fresh install of win7.

Everything is going smoothly, except when I play music. every once in a while the music lags for a bit and causes the music to stutter, then resumes....rinse and repeat.

done the obvious, and installed drivers etc....

tried googling, and it seems like other people are having the same problems, but I can't find any resolutions. Anyone experience anything like this before?
Old July 30, 2011, 12:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

DPC Latency Checker

Run the latency checker while trying to play music and go through trial and error with your drivers in the management console.
Old July 30, 2011, 01:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

what player?
Old July 30, 2011, 02:46 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

so i ran the program, and it suggested i disconnect devices one at a time.

first thing I unplugged was my wireless card. and boom, the lag disappeared. Strange considering I had this set up (minus the mobo/cpu) for years and never encountered this. Must be some sort of interference?

Anyways, I uninstalled the drivers for the wireless, and installed new ones manually, but I am still getting the same problem. This problem occurs across the board so I know it's not a player issue, but the wireless card for sure.
Old July 30, 2011, 04:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's likely a registry conflict between your audio driver and the wireless driver, been seeing it a lot with Asus motherboards/soundcards. (not always the wireless driver though) If you've already tried drivers directly from the audio chipset manufacturer and they didn't work, I'd look for some universal audio drivers to try or some third party driver. If none of those work, try the same for your wireless card.
Old August 3, 2011, 11:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

so i thought i had solved the issues with my sound card via drivers but they came back.

after doing some digging on the net, I never found a conclusive answer.

So, I took a look at the way things were installed on the mobo.

Turns out i had it this way from top to bottom.

GPU
Sound card
PCI-E
wireless card
PCI-E

Thought back to the way I had it set up on my previous mobo, and switched the Sound card with the wireless...

ran DPC latency and the interruptions are FAR less frequent to the point where if I hadn't turned on DPC I wouldn't notice it.

So I guess switching positions did the trick, more or less.
Old August 4, 2011, 05:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm interesting solution... If that kind of poking around was necessary to fix it, the issue probably lies down in BIOS - try CMOS reset, BIOS upgrade, or the long-lost art of manually setting IRQs if that happens again. For me a CMOS reset helped latency problems caused with a PCI-E TV tuner conflicting with my motherboard's storage controller.
Old August 4, 2011, 01:54 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

well i tried to play around with the IRQ settings for the lanes and such, but couldn't find them in ASUS' new fangled BIOS with mouse control (even in 'advanced' mode).

Would switching to a PCI-E sound card solve this issue completely? I wonder...
Old August 6, 2011, 05:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

realtek current driver
R2.632011/7/12

also your using a video card with onboard graphic chip, need to configure in bios that PCI-e slot is the default on boot up and with graphic memory allocation set to zero to free up resouces

imho would get all current certified drivers and bios and reinstall OS with F6 option to load chipset,net,audio