Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 28, 2011, 09:53 PM
Top Prospect

Default Few problems with new build

First issue is with RAM. I bought two of these kits: Patriot Gamer 2 Series, Division 2 Edition DDR3 8GB (2 x 4GB) PC3-12800 Enhanced Latency Kit at Memory Express Computers This is with a 2600k on a P8Z68V-PRO.

When I put both pairs in and turn my computer on the fans spin and the motherboard lights blink, then the system seems to power down and then back on again. Nothing appears on screen the entire time. When I tried using only one pair at a time, one pair demonstrates the same issue (power down then back on, nothing on screen) while the other pair works perfectly fine. Is that enough to conclude that one pair is defective, or is there more that I can do?

My second issue is during start up the ASUS BIOS screen will flash, then the Marvell controller will yell at me for not having any devices plugged in to it (which is true), then the ASUS screen will return. I can only access the BIOS by pressing delete after the Marvell controller part finishes. Is this normal?
Old July 28, 2011, 09:57 PM
Banned
F@H

the 'good' pair, does it work fine in the other slots as well?

if not mobo,cpu is shot or you need to reseat.

or bios defaults

what else..h.mm...

yeah. is there a place to disable the secondary(marvel) controller? if so do it.just.

edit : looked up this on your ram at the linkie there

Voltage: 1.65V

nonononono. 1.5 for sb. day and night.
Old July 28, 2011, 10:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristhrottle View Post
First issue is with RAM. I bought two of these kits: Patriot Gamer 2 Series, Division 2 Edition DDR3 8GB (2 x 4GB) PC3-12800 Enhanced Latency Kit at Memory Express Computers This is with a 2600k on a P8Z68V-PRO.

When I put both pairs in and turn my computer on the fans spin and the motherboard lights blink, then the system seems to power down and then back on again. Nothing appears on screen the entire time. When I tried using only one pair at a time, one pair demonstrates the same issue (power down then back on, nothing on screen) while the other pair works perfectly fine. Is that enough to conclude that one pair is defective, or is there more that I can do?

My second issue is during start up the ASUS BIOS screen will flash, then the Marvell controller will yell at me for not having any devices plugged in to it (which is true), then the ASUS screen will return. I can only access the BIOS by pressing delete after the Marvell controller part finishes. Is this normal?
Have you tried 1 stick at a time?

Have you ruled out the slots?

TBH it sounds like a bad stick to me.

Yeah I have to wait until after the Marvell controller before I can enter the BIOS on a Asus p67 Sabertooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old July 29, 2011, 07:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

you need to turn off bios check/update in cmos set-up options

also use current bios and WHQL drivers for chipset,lan and sound

intel RST and marvell WHQL drivers and F6 when re-instakking OS

Last edited by KaptCrunch; July 30, 2011 at 11:45 AM.