LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 28, 2011, 04:35 PM
Rookie

Question P8Z68 - ASMedia USB 3.0 just disappeared one day

Hello,

First the important facts, I suppose:
Asus P8Z68-V Pro motherboard
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

I built the computer. It all worked beautifully for a month or two. I have made no hardware changes since the initial installation. Then, just recently, my USB 3.0 ports died completely. The only thing I've installed are a few Steam games from the summer sale.

It's strange - it's not that it shows up in device manager with a question mark; it's just gone completely. So far as the system is concerned the USB 3.0 ports don't exist.

I have so far tried:
- Reinstalling the ASMedia drivers from the Asus webpage for my motherboard
- Reinstalling the drivers from my original motherboard CD
- Booting up Ubuntu 11.04 from a live CD (I ran lsusb and it didn't list any USB systems that sounded familiar; admittedly I'm no linux guru though)
- Going through the BIOS settings to make sure that the ports aren't disabled (and I could not find anything indicating that they were)
- Resetting the motherboard's setting to "optimum"
- Reinstalling the latest Intel Inf

If I plug a device in with a light (for example, an optical mouse) it will illuminate for a brief moment, then just be dead. From this I take it that there is some power getting through so it's not like it's just unplugged somehow.

I've tested all of the ports - the ones off of the Motherboard's header, and the standard ports at the back. All of them are dead.

All of the USB 2.0 ports are perfect; as is everything else.

I'm just plain out of ideas at this point. Thoughts?
Old February 1, 2012, 04:36 AM
Trial Member

I want to bump this thread, I'm having this issue too, and for more than a month now I still can't find an answer, front panel usb 3.0 is working back the back panel isn't and just disappeared two-three days after I freshly formatted my system unit.
Old February 9, 2012, 12:14 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanoyuuji View Post
I want to bump this thread, I'm having this issue too, and for more than a month now I still can't find an answer, front panel usb 3.0 is working back the back panel isn't and just disappeared two-three days after I freshly formatted my system unit.
To follow up, I ended up RMAing the board. It was a bit challenging to convince the rep on the telephone that "Canada" was a place outside of "America", but other than that it was reasonably painless. Make sure that your RMA depot is in Canada.