Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 27, 2011, 07:32 AM
Top Prospect

Default Case Power Button Broken

I'm not sure if troubleshooting is the best place for this, so if it should be moved, please do so mod :)

Anyway, the power button on my case (HAF932) is broken. Pressing it does not start up the computer, however, sometimes if I would press it a whole bunch, really fast, it might work, or if I held it down for a little bit, it might work. The wire connections on both the front panel and the mobo connectors look fine to me.

I ended up plugging the reset button into the power button spot on the motherboard, and that's been working fine, but I'd like to know what recommendations there are for fixing the power button.
Old July 27, 2011, 08:54 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

The switch may just be dirty and a blast of contact cleaner will fit it up
CONTACT & HEAD CLEANER SPRAY | Cleaners | Ratings & Reviews | TheSource.ca

If it's truely broken you can either try to find an exact match at a place like digikey or contact CM and see if they'll send you a new one, or you can pick up one of those vandal switches that the modding crowd likes and drill a hole for it. Or maybe even post a decent picture of it and somebody may have one kicking around they can send you)

Or you can keep using your reset button (or maybe even swap out the 2 since your less likely to press reset)
Old July 30, 2011, 10:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

just do a part req @ CM <-----FILL OUT

no gurantees for my exprience they don't stand behind thier products

Last edited by KaptCrunch; July 30, 2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old July 30, 2011, 10:59 AM
Banned
F@H

try cm first,theyre very good for these situations. probably ship you free of charge the little thing.
Old July 31, 2011, 08:10 PM
Top Prospect

If you are able to take the face plate/bezel off and get at where the power button hits the switch, try pressing the switch directly (after undoing your reset switch/power button jimmy rig).

If it works with the face off, the problem could just be the button which recesses in and hits the switch. You may need to build it up with hot glue or something.
Old July 31, 2011, 11:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

idk what support for this is like on motherboards nowadays, but you might try looking in the BIOS to see if you can set a combo on your keyboard to start up your PC. That would result in less wear on your power button should you replace/notreplace it.

Though, I mean, if it failed this fast then it is crap. A power button should last a ton of time unless you reeeeally beat on it multiple times each day.