Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 22, 2011, 08:06 PM
Rookie

Default Internal HDD showing up as external drives

Hi all. I'm hoping someone could help me with this issue. I just finished putting together my computer, installed Windows 7 Pro 64 bits. However, both of my hard drives (one SSD, one regular HDD) are showing up as external drives (plug-and-play). If I click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon, I could actually "eject" both of my hard drives. I've searched on Google for clues, but it wasn't helpful. If anyone has any idea on how to fix this, it will be greatly appreciated (I am using Gigabyte-UD5-B3 Mobo).

Thank you!
Old July 22, 2011, 08:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Where boath hooked up when you installed windows ?

When you install windows it is best to have only one hooked up.
Old July 22, 2011, 08:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Update drivers and bios. And if that doesn't work, roll them back. It happened with me too (and I only had one drive hooked up).
Old July 22, 2011, 08:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's a feature of ACHI which allows hotswapping, it's normal don't worry about it.
Old July 22, 2011, 11:04 PM
Rookie

@ZZLEE: I did what you mentioned. I hooked up my SSD drive as the boot drive and then I connected my storage hard drive after Windows installation.

@Kommie986: Drivers and BIOS are all updated. If I wanted to roll back, should I just do it for the driver of the storage device and leave the BIOS alone?

@supaflyx3: If it doesn't cause any trouble later, I guess I can live with it. I was just a bit surprised since on my laptop, which also uses Windows 7 and ACHI, doesn't show my internal hard drive as an "external" drive.
Old July 23, 2011, 09:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

It really depends on the chipset more than anything. AHCI as supafly said allows drives to be hot swapped out of your system without shutting down your system. The only drive you can't do this with is your boot drive.

Its fine as stated and normal so don't worry.
Old July 23, 2011, 03:40 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well, what happened with me (though keep in mind I'm still using 780i board) was that I let Windows update my drivers, and it showed the same stuff that you are mentioning. I didn't have that happen with old drivers, so I checked the NVIDIA websites, and there were newer drivers (than the ones Windows had got for me). I got those and the thing went away. I found it rather concerning as I was afraid in the process of trying to safely remove a memory stick, I would remove my one and only drive. But I suppose you should keep the bios and roll back drivers.
Old July 23, 2011, 10:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommie986 View Post
Well, what happened with me (though keep in mind I'm still using 780i board) was that I let Windows update my drivers, and it showed the same stuff that you are mentioning. I didn't have that happen with old drivers, so I checked the NVIDIA websites, and there were newer drivers (than the ones Windows had got for me). I got those and the thing went away. I found it rather concerning as I was afraid in the process of trying to safely remove a memory stick, I would remove my one and only drive. But I suppose you should keep the bios and roll back drivers.
Your one and only drive would be the Windows boot drive which you CANNOT remove through this method.
Old July 24, 2011, 02:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

You usually shouldn't be able to eject the drive that your OS resides on. Otherwise all is normal.
Old July 24, 2011, 09:21 PM
Rookie

Thanks all for your input. I will just leave it as it is.