Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 18, 2011, 09:36 PM
Rookie

Default couple questions about budget oc upgrade.

So I have this HP computer that I would like to upgrade. It has a q6600 @ 2.4ghz. I am under the assumption I will need to change the mobo as the factory one is locked. I will probably have a friend or company do the overclocking but I want to see what this will cost first.

Do I just need to change the mobo?? If so what one should I go with, seen a few on newegg.ca just dont know what one is best.

Lastly I upgraded to 8gb ram, 64bit win 7, clean install. I was wondering if I do the overclock, with everything else done I need a new video card, should I bother spending on a big card like a 460gtx or just a decent card? What would be best card for this setup (just be some mmos on this pc, want to play tera and gw2 when they come out.)

Any help would be great!
Old July 19, 2011, 01:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

q6600 isn't exactly the best clocker, and the ones used in OEM business like with HP would be an even worse clocker IMO and wouldn't be worth it.
and a 460 is still a great card and a good value, if you can get it for under 150 go for it.
Old July 19, 2011, 06:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
q6600 isn't exactly the best clocker, and the ones used in OEM business like with HP would be an even worse clocker IMO and wouldn't be worth it.
and a 460 is still a great card and a good value, if you can get it for under 150 go for it.
You'd be surprised to know that most OEM Q6600's are G0 stepping. Kind of like how AMD only released the unlockable hexacore Thuban chips as OEM's.

But that said, even if your Q6600 is a good overclocker it would not be worth investing in a motherboard+cooler 4 generations old to try and get a performance boost out out of overclocking. The upgrade to 8GB of RAM is rather pointless as well, although RAM prices are at an all time low. It *might* be worth considering if you can find one second hand for really cheap though. The Q6600 is still a very good chip, even at stock.

If you find that you can't run games like GW2 at the settings you want, I would first invest in a new video card. I would not buy a video card ahead of time for two reasons: 1. The games you mentioned have low minimum system requirements to keep a larger market. 2. By the time the games come out there may be something new or prices will have dropped in preparation for something new.
Old July 19, 2011, 09:29 AM
Banned
F@H

gift it t your parents or soemthing,keep the 460 if you wish, and get some i3 or i5 lovin' !