Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 15, 2011, 06:05 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Exclamation 80GB SSD - 14GB's randomly disappear? help?

My Corsair SSD randomly lost 14GB of the drive when installed my new hardware. Can't figure out what happened to the memory. I looked on the drive and the used space doesn't match the amount of data on the drive. I looked at all the files on the drive and added up the total still can't figure it out. I think it might have something to do with the hibernation file but not sure. The hardware i installed lists as followed.

1.Corsair H70 CPU Cooler
2.Gigabyte AMD Radeon 6970OC2
3.Corsair Dominator GT 4x4 - 16GB (Previously Corsair Dominator 4x2 - 8GB)
4.Seagate Barracuda XT 7200RPM SATA3 2TB
5.LG BD-RE Drive

If anyone can figure this out please post a solution.
Old July 15, 2011, 06:37 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Couple things could be going on.

Did you install win 7 ...and the secondary (hidden) partition could be sucking up some of the room (need to kill it before installing the OS...win 7 install is tricky like that)
Do you have your temp file on your "C" drive? It could be sucking up some of the room.
If you have hibernation on...it could easily be sucking up the room.

Are you converting GB to GiB properly? eg 120GB ssd == 112'ish. :)

Just some things off the top of my head that could be doing it. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 15, 2011, 07:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I know that when i install windows 7 on my 40GB ssd if i leave the page file on it eats up the amount of ram i have installed. (8GB of ram eat's up 8GB of SSD space.) Try checking your paging file settings.

Old July 15, 2011, 09:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

My guess is you have 8 gb of ram and the other 6 is just form your SSD 80gb = 74gb
Old July 15, 2011, 09:57 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I'll take a look at the paging file because it makes sense since you said that. My old ram was 8GB and my new is 16GB. but before i didn't the upgrades my SSD was at 34.4GB left on the drive. No after the upgrades the drives reads 19.8GB which makes sense for the 16GB taking the space for the page file. But wouldn't it just take another 8GB instead of taking 16GB + the 8GB before hand for the paging making the total amount 24GB?
For the OS solution as far as i no i have no hidden partitions and the OS was installed before hand. As far as the temp file goes yes it's on my C drive but i have CCleaner so that shouldn't be a problem. Another that i've notice is i checked the drive for errors and when i finished i restarted and the 14GB of space can back bringing the drive back to the normal state i had it. Then i restarted and it disappear again.
Old July 15, 2011, 10:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would really look at a hibernation file.

To get rid of it for sure open a command prompt and type this

powercfg -h off

That will clear it out if you have one. Oh and make sure you run the command prompt as admin.

Old July 15, 2011, 10:15 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

wont that delete the file or disable it? because i use the hibernation feature for when i'm at work or doing stuff around the house. Unless i can just move the file to my E or G drive. But i would need i walkthrough on that one not familiar with that.
Old July 15, 2011, 11:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If your OS is on the SSD, there is honestly no point in having a hibernation file.

1. You'll decrease the lifespan of your SSD.

2. Your startup times should be very quick anyhow.

3. You'll save that small amount of hibernation power.
Old July 15, 2011, 12:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is a desktop correct?

Just wondering but why do you use hibernation? I only ask cause I don't and don't see the need on a desktop. That said yes that will get rid of the file completely. If you just want to see if the file is there then what you have to do is go into my computer and go to tools - folder options - view tab. Then look for the hide protected system files option and uncheck it. After you apply that go right to the root of c: and you will see the hibernation file. It is called hiberfil.sys and this way you can see how large it is.

Oh and no you can not move the hibernation file. At least from everything I have seen. Page file yes, hiberfil.sys no.

Old July 15, 2011, 07:55 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Ok good to no. Yes my OS is on a SSD and it's on a desktop. I'll take a look at the file size.