Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 13, 2011, 01:38 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Bad Vertex 3 drive?

Ever since getting a 120GB Vertex 3 and installing Windows 7 on it, i've been getting blue screens maybe once or twice a day. The message is "KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR". Does anyone know what this message means? After this blue screen, the bios does not detect the SSD anymore. I need to unplug the SATA and power cables and replug them in order for it to be detected again. Could it be a bad drive? Or a bad OS install? I just bought this about a week ago, do you think I can get it exchanged in store, or am I going to have to RMA through OCZ? Thanks.
Old July 13, 2011, 02:37 AM
MVP

My System Specs

One week you should be able to get it RMA'd through the store, but you're likely experiencing the usual problem people have when a Sandforce 2281 drive produces blue screens. Try updating the firmware -- as a Vertex 3, 2.09 is the latest. That may correct the issue if it is indeed the expected problem with a particular SATA command, or at least fix it as a stop-gap measure. The firmware slows the timing associated with that command, which seems to maintain stability.
Old July 13, 2011, 02:41 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks a lot for the reply. I'll update the firmware right away.
Old July 13, 2011, 06:27 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

heh.... this just happened to me... FML... Thanks for the tip on unplugging and repluggin the SATA cable though..
Old July 13, 2011, 07:02 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Some other things that sometimes works is: A) unplug it (power and sata) overnight, sometimes it revives em (this is a variation on the CHECK THE DAMN CABLE idea that should be first thing anyone does with any SSD "acting up") b) try a SHORTER sata 6gb/s cable (if you are not using a cable rated for sata 6gb/s....change it NOW, while older cables work 9 times out of 10...that 10th is the one that bites you with down right WEIRD issues occurring at seemingly random intervals...including bsods) c) try a different port d) try a dif controller. Anyone of these things sometimes works. 2.09 solves the issue for some to most people (depends on who you listen to), but there is still a wonky error in all SF gen 2 drives firmware right now.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 13, 2011, 07:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Some other things that sometimes works is: A) unplug it (power and sata) overnight, sometimes it revives em (this is a variation on the CHECK THE DAMN CABLE idea that should be first thing anyone does with any SSD "acting up") b) try a SHORTER sata 6gb/s cable (if you are not using a cable rated for sata 6gb/s....change it NOW, while older cables work 9 times out of 10...that 10th is the one that bites you with down right WEIRD issues occurring at seemingly random intervals...including bsods) c) try a different port d) try a dif controller. Anyone of these things sometimes works. 2.09 solves the issue for some to most people (depends on who you listen to), but there is still a wonky error in all SF gen 2 drives firmware right now.
Thanks for the tips AkG. Update on my end, after some playing around, I've managed to get the drive to boot again. Below is a picture of me on freak out mode since Windows wouldn't put period, then it went to missing bootmgr. Then I ran Bootrec.exe off command prompt on a Windows repair, then it worked after restarting a couple times....

I'm cloning my drive then gonna try the firmware update. Fingers crossed. Don't have any SATA3 cables on hand atm but getting some short ones may do something as well.
Old July 14, 2011, 02:18 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Turns out that I don't need to unplug the cables to bring it back detected. It just needs an extra restart. I haven't had time last night to upgrade the firmware, and I've never upgraded a storage drive's firmware before. Can I do so without losing the data? I know you're all going to say "you should back up anyway just in case", but I don't have any important files on my SSD. I just want to know if I'll need to reinstall windows.
Old July 14, 2011, 10:51 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigFOIG View Post
Turns out that I don't need to unplug the cables to bring it back detected. It just needs an extra restart. I haven't had time last night to upgrade the firmware, and I've never upgraded a storage drive's firmware before. Can I do so without losing the data? I know you're all going to say "you should back up anyway just in case", but I don't have any important files on my SSD. I just want to know if I'll need to reinstall windows.
Well, I'll just give you a heads up (since I did it yesterday), you can update the firmware without losing your data, just download the ocztool from their website. BUT, in order to update the firmware from 2.06 to 2.08, your SSD cannot be your primary drive (WTF?) If you read the release notes prior versions of the OCZ tools allowed you to do this, but my guess is that with several folks getting bricked drives after the flash, they prohibited it on their updated version of OCZtools.

So... That being said, I luckily had another desktop laying around and I just connected the SSD to that on a spare SATA cable, loaded OCZ tools update, success (yay victory lap).

What wasn't a success was that my harddrive still had a bad bootmgr for some reason and kept looping into windows repair mode. after an hour of that, I just said eff it and formatted the thing because all my files were on my 1TB drive anyways.

So, after being up most of the night and drinking half a bottle of vodka to make the time go by, 'ShortStack' is back up and running (with updated firmware) and I slept in and missed a day of work . I hope you have better luck than I do.
Old July 14, 2011, 11:11 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yes that is my understanding too, as it adds in too many variables that could cause a drive to brick. Never recommended it and I for one am GLAD they yanked it as an option.

If you dont have another rig to use (or dont want to yank it every time you want to upgrade the firmware)...do it this way:
Guide OCZ-SandForce Linux based firmware update tool

Install it to a usb drive, reboot via it...update the firmware, power down, unplug...and bingo you are back up and running with the latest and greatest. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr