Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   issue reading memory on MSI BIG BANG-Xpower x58 board (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/44759-issue-reading-memory-msi-big-bang-xpower-x58-board.html)

Your_friendly_gamer July 7, 2011 10:38 PM

issue reading memory on MSI BIG BANG-Xpower x58 board

I just started having this problem an hour ago. I had reseated my heatsink last night before going to bed. I had turned on my pc this morning and it ran everything perfectly, I played DIRT 3 for a couple of hours before going to work. I get home tonight and when I turned on my pc, everything seemed normal, except the cpu meter gadget read 8183 MB of memory when I have 3 modules of xms3 4gig memory. My memory is
CMX12GX3M3A2000C9. a 12 gig kit. So i turned off my pc, and ran each stick alone and each time it booted. I have 6 slots for the memory and when I tried booting up with the blue slots, it wouldnt boot up. When I ran the memtest it also read 8 gig memory. When I go into bios and then I went to mem-z it read 12 gig as in 3 slots of 4 gig each. So I just booted up again after clearing cmos etc and in windows under cpu-z it reads 12 gig memory and it shows which slot is conating the memory. But again both windows and cpu meter is reading 8 gig of memory. Is this something to do with the mobo or I could have screwed up something?

Any advice will be much appreciated. THanks

Your_friendly_gamer July 11, 2011 06:44 PM

anyone know of this or suggest something? you think i need a new mobo? THanks

ZZLEE July 11, 2011 06:50 PM

Try Other coler coded ram slots ?

chrisk July 11, 2011 06:51 PM

Reseat the cpu and heatsink again. Incorrect pin contact can cause memory detection issues.

Take a close look at the mobo pins too to see if you bent any pins.

ZZLEE July 11, 2011 07:02 PM

Mobo Flex Also Can cause Some issues also.

KaptCrunch July 11, 2011 07:10 PM

x58 MB memory are 1,3,5 are paired and 2,4,6 other slot pairs as 3 pairs not 2

Your_friendly_gamer July 11, 2011 07:37 PM

Chris, I did do that, and I think that maybe the issue hmmm. You see I took out my cpu from my mobo to apply the new thermal paste I got. i put the cpu back on and then everything went well. I played dirt3 for a couple of hours. Everything went crazy when I came home from work that day. I work nights. Stupid thing just wouldnt work. And trust me I hate when that happens. I am not very good, I am a pretty much of a newb to lga 1366, my first i7. Then I finally got hold of MSI people and the guy had no idea what he was talking about. I read at some places on google about that as well.

So I did trouble shoot it for over 8 hours. I did take out the cpu again and looked at the pins carefully. From far a single pin looks bent but when I got closer with my torch light it looks fine. But you can tell the shade it looks weird. I think that probably it is. But not sure though when I got closer it looked fine.

SLot 2 4 6 dont work at all. either alone or all paired. slot 3 and 4 dont work either alone as well.

The only slot work are 1 and 5. Anywyas I have finally given it up and just just just packed it and will be shipping it tomorrow for RMA as MSI gave me an RMA number.

However, I have learnt my lesson. In the future I will not take out the cpu unless I am putting a different one in. It sucks not having your pc and using your wife's laptop:(

KaptCrunch July 12, 2011 05:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Your_friendly_gamer (Post 532029)
SLot 2 4 6 dont work at all. either alone or all paired. slot 3 and 4 dont work either alone as well.

The only slot work are 1 and 5. Anywyas I have finally given it up and just just just packed it and will be shipping it tomorrow for RMA as MSI gave me an RMA number.

However, I have learnt my lesson. In the future I will not take out the cpu unless I am putting a different one in. It sucks not having your pc and using your wife's laptop:(

last kick at the can
Your_friendly_gamer
since you have out of case just hook up cpu/fan, gpu, PSU, 1 stick of ram.
boot up so that you can get a bios screen to check what version have
current is 1.6 with Update CPU Micro Code.
- Update LAN option ROM.
- Update USB3.0 module.
version 1.5 with Improved memory compatibility fixes

ok now that booting remove power cord and push start switch on MB to drain caps

then clear cmos
or remove battery for manual don't show clear cmos jumper

after done this then update bios if needed be by usb stick format FAT16 with bios file

Your_friendly_gamer July 12, 2011 09:42 PM

Hey Kapt Crunch,

Thanks for going through so much trouble. Unfortuantely, I sent it up this morning, as I only have access to a computer at work or my wife's laptop. I think I had done most of those. You know what I did roll back the bios version to 1.5 as it did say it improved memory operations. booted it same stuff, updated it to 1.6 which was released in March and no improvement. I sent it xpresspost with Canada post and hopefully i get it bask as soon as possible. It's so weird not having your pc. I cant even fold as well, though I am new at it and part time as well. Anyways , thank you so very much for going through so much trouble, I really appreciate it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaptCrunch (Post 532075)
last kick at the can
Your_friendly_gamer
since you have out of case just hook up cpu/fan, gpu, PSU, 1 stick of ram.
boot up so that you can get a bios screen to check what version have
current is 1.6 with Update CPU Micro Code.
- Update LAN option ROM.
- Update USB3.0 module.
version 1.5 with Improved memory compatibility fixes

ok now that booting remove power cord and push start switch on MB to drain caps

then clear cmos
or remove battery for manual don't show clear cmos jumper

after done this then update bios if needed be by usb stick format FAT16 with bios file

bigFOIG July 13, 2011 12:05 AM

i also have the same problem with the same board. something is telling me that there is something going on with the big bang xpowers :\