Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 5, 2011, 02:50 PM
Rookie

Exclamation Extremely high CPUTIN temperature

Hi, I just recently built a new rig and am having a problem with some of the temperatures. I am not
overly experienced with building PCs so I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on this issue.
I've searched google and whatnot but I only find the typical "put the thermal compound on like this"
and "make sure the HSF is secured" type stuff... which isn't really helping me much here.

The parts are as follows:

i5-2400
Cooler Master 212 Plus
P8P67 LE (Rev 3)
Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600Mhz 4gb(2x2)
Cavier Black 500gb 7200 Sata 3 (6gbit/s)
GTX 460 SE
Corsair TX750 V2
HAF 912
some random DVDRW
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

CPUTIN and AUXTIN in CPUID Hardware Monitor/speedfan(speedfan shows CPUTIN as just "CPU") read at
extremely high temps, CPUTIN @ 91c and AUXTIN around the same but seems a little lower. I've seen
CPUTIN jump around from 53c all the way up to 127c (Yes, that is a c, not an f... ) Cores 1-4 all
show 30c to 50c depending on what I"m doing, never seen the cores go past or even hit 60c though.
The room temperature is 28-30c atm.

The BIOS says the CPU temp is in the 30-40c range, Asus AI Suite II says the same. I'm told that
CPUTIN is the surface of the processor? I've seen weird readings (or at least they seem weird to me)
from CPUTIN though. For example, I would have a game up in full screen, then I minimize it to the
task bar and in HWMonitor I see CPUTIN at 86c for a split second but then it drops to 65c and
basically stays there most of the time... but then if I keep watching it, it will drop to 53c or jump
to 77c or 86/91c or jump to 127c and/or back to 65c.

So all this leads me to believe either I've messed up the HSF installation/thermal compound
application OR the sensor on the board is faulty OR the BIOS needs to be updated? (I don't know if
this is an issue with these boards, I've never read anything about such a thing though).

All of that said, the computer seems to run perfectly fine at all times... I have not tried Prime95
though yet because I'm scared of the 91c thing.

The case has a fan in the front pulling in air and one in the back blowing it out.
I have the 1 fan the hyper 212+ comes with on the side next to the back fan so they are basically facing each other.

So, some questions...

1. Am I just not installing the HSF properly?

> I make sure all the screws/bolts are tight on the hyper 212+ and that the cross thing that
screws into the backplate is properly mounted in the center and that the little pin is properly fit
into the correct position in the cross thing.

2. Am I just not applying the thermal compound properly?

> The first time I tried it I spread it out on the processor evenly and thin. The second time
I cleaned it all off and then tried the "pea sized" blob in the middle. Both basically gave me the
exact same tempuratures. I read somewhere (can't find the link) that the best way to apply thermal
compound to this type of heat sync is to spread it out on the processor evenly and thin and then
place some small "strips" on the areas of the heat sync pipes. Maybe I should try that next? or...

3. Should I just take off the hyper 212+ and try out the stock HSF just to see if I get the same
temps I'm getting now?

> Just because if I am really managing to screw up the application of the thermal compound
then this should show improved temps because of the pre applied TIM... right?

4. Should I update the BIOS?

> I'm just wondering if these high temp readings are caused by something other then me
messing up the HSF installation and/or application of the thermal compound.

Also, at boot, the computer tells me no hard disk found... but it works fine so I don't care. lol

And one time I think I got a voltage warning from ASUS AI Suite II, a little box popped up in the bottom
right corner... I don't remember what it said because I clicked on it thinking it would bring something up
but it just went away. I haven't touched anything in the BIOS, everything is default.

So what do you think?
Old July 5, 2011, 04:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

what version of bios ? current is 1013

hdd not seen is cable issues or bios set to raid not ahci in bios advance sata

for temps what case are using ? how many fans ?

Last edited by KaptCrunch; July 5, 2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old July 5, 2011, 05:15 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Couple thoughts:
The hard disk not found could be from a controller that is enabled at boot, but doesn't have a drive attached.. since your OS is booting from a drive attached to a different controller it doesn't matter.

AI Suite is buggy, it used to randomly give me warnings that cpu temp was -50 and mobo +127. There is a newer version of it, not sure which you're running. Updating the bios may also help. Also make sure you're using newer wersions of any monitoring programs.

Sounds to me like you've got a good handle on the thermal paste application, all those are good methods really. With the 212+ I would probably go with the last method you mentioned but I wouldn't think it would make that big of a difference.

Your cpu core temps never get that high though, just the cpuin?

HWC Overclocking Team, breaking hardware for fun!

Team Thread
Old July 5, 2011, 07:58 PM
Rookie

Hi, thanks for responding.

The BIOS version appears to be 1003. The case is a HAF 912, there are 2 fans: 1 in the front pulling air in and 1 in the back pushing air out.

The Asus AI Suite II is Version 1.01.14. All the monitoring programs I'm using are the ones I've downloaded from their respective websites except for the Asus AI Suite II, which is the version off the disk that came with the mobo.

I haven't reseated yet, I will do that next and use the last method I posted and see what happens.

And yes, ONLY CPUTIN and AUXTIN get to those extreme temperatures.

Here are some pics so you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about...

Also, I should mention that I have the case fans connected directly to the PSU and not the mobo, so that's why they aren't listed.
Old July 5, 2011, 08:41 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If it were me I'd probably flash to the latest bios, and install the newer version of AI Suite- pretty sure there is an updated version for your board, found what looks like 1.01.32Asus P67 Series Information Thread (drivers, BIOSes, overclocking, reviews) - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

TBH I'm not completely sure what CPUTIN is really showing, on my board (M4E) there are zeros across the board for CPUTIN & AUXTIN. It makes no sense that your cpu core temps should be that different.

I'd guess faulty sensor or software glitch, but updating the bios & Ai Suite is probably a good step.

Team Thread
Old July 6, 2011, 01:41 AM
Rookie

Hi, I have flashed the BIOS to Version 1013.

I have also updated the AI Suite II.

The extreme CPUTIN and AUXTIN temperatures remain.

I checked in Speedfan and found sys, CPU and aux all use the Nuvoton NCT6776F chip apparently. I'm not sure if this is helpful or not...

I've felt around the heat sync and it doesn't feel hot at all, sometimes it gets warm but nothing like what CPUTIN would have me believe.

I think I found my answer though... possibly. I kept googling everything I could think of and I finally stumbled on this: Crazed sensor? Wrong temperatures (Asus P8P67 LE) - AIDA64 Discussion Forum

So I went ahead and downloaded the trial of AIDA64 Extreme Edition just to see if I would still get the same temperatures... I was curious because that person seemed to have the exact same problem as I do.

And... well...

So... am I in the clear? lol

edit: I just got a warning from what I guess was AI suite that the cpu is at 117 centigrade... o.O

Last edited by sonic936769; July 6, 2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old July 6, 2011, 07:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I would think so yes, I used to have problems with hWmonitor telling me my X4 810 hit 200 Degrees all of the sudden.
And then everything would go back to normal. Given that AIDA64 is much more refined, and that CoreTemp is telling you things are okay, I wouldn't worry about it.
After all, your CPU has built in thermal protection too, it should have shut itself down or severly downclocked itself,

So I think you are in the clear, you just have a program or two that doesn't place nice with your sensors.

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 6, 2011, 07:34 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Agree, you should be good to go. Those warnings (box appears just above taskbar on the right-hand side) are from ProbeII . You can disable it by going in Ai Suite> settings> uncheck box & apply.

Have fun with the new rig

Team Thread
Old July 6, 2011, 01:50 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the help everyone!