Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/)
-   -   No Display After Restart (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/44683-no-display-after-restart.html)

bkh2 July 4, 2011 09:26 PM

No Display After Restart

Hi, I recently replaced my mobo with an Asus Rampage II Extreme x58 board and all my components work fine. However, ONLY when I restart my computer, the screen goes black (as usual) but it doesn't come back -- ever. I even hear the Windows startup sound play, but I still see nothing. Since I have no password, all I do is hit enter to log into Windows. I'll hear it play the secondary sound but still see no display. Could it possibly be the BIOS version is not recent enough? I checked the website and it says my current BIOS (1802) supports my CPU.

i7 980x
Asus Rampage II Extreme
Windows 7 Enterprise

PS: I'm going to try and replicate the problem by restarting a few times.

_dangtx_ July 5, 2011 01:25 AM

something with your card perhaps. drivers if you can see the bios screen.

fails to initialise,maybe move the pci-e slot? did you forget a pci-e power cable? :)

could be a few thing but its def booting up from what you can hear

Arinoth July 5, 2011 04:34 AM

Never hurts to check that you plugged all your power cables into your GPU and have seated it properly (it happend to me a couple times when i was doing a lot of hardware swapping).

Another thing you should check is the bios to see what display it has set for primary (could easily not have the gpu as the primary display and therefore you're getting nothing on the screen). Have you tried also changing which slot you plug your monitor cable into your gpu, there is typically a primary and a secondary, which again can lead to this.

Do you potentially have more then one system hooked up to the monitor? I know when i had two desktops hooked to one monitor and the monitor was set to auto-select mode it would always toggle itself between the two whenever i restarted as they typically try to select the at the time active video signal

JoelPack July 5, 2011 07:35 AM

I don't know if this will help, but possibly your monitor may be to blame here as well. I know that recently I purchased a new monitor, and when I hooked it up to my PC, it never shows anything before the windows boot-up (first 20 seconds), but after that it works fine. Other monitors I hooked up didn't do this and I couldn't really find anything online saying my monitor had such a problem.

Possibly this may have to do with your monitor hitting some kind of power saving mode when it loses the signal, then doesn't kick in when the restart hits making it never show any input after that (possibly triggered by some kind of small difference with the new mobo). Do you have another monitor to test with? This could be an incompatibility between your card and monitor.

This is all conjecture and may be useless to you, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

bkh2 July 5, 2011 11:12 AM

Thanks for all the input.
@Dangtx - All the power cables were plugged in :P Since the BIOS splash didn't show up either, I don't think it was the drivers.
@Arinoth - Since my mobo doesn't have onboard graphics, would it always default to a discrete one? I'm using both monitor ports so at least one of them would show up. Good call on the multidesktop thing. I remember another setup I had that had that problem.
@JoelPack - That's interesting. I do notice that my monitors take some time to kick in after they enter power saver, but the displays didn't come back at all, even after entering Windows (or at least from what I could hear).

Regardless, upon one of the reboots, when I was trying to replicate the problem, it autostarted a recovery/repair thing so I just went ahead with it. I rebooted several times this morning just to test and it seems to work fine now. It might have been that while installing a program that required a restart, something went wrong. But everything seems to be back in order now.

Thanks again for the replies.